Will this sell?

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Gimme your frank opinions about it..

Ive developed a software which solves sudokus for you.. ( check Wikipedia or Google it if you dont know what they are)..
It uses 8 algorithms to arrive at a solution, and if that fails then brute force method. So guaranteed 101% results.
I plan on selling it.

What do u think?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know if it will sell as a product, but it may sell you as a developer. It depends on the algorithms you're using, how you're deciding when a search fails, and so forth. Solving sudoku puzzles has a lot in common with solving other sorts of problems, particularly in inventory management, fulfillment, transportation and logistics, fleet management and so forth. If your approach is efficient and fails quickly, it makes you more valuable.

Then again, it's really hard to figure out what will be successful commercially. One of the very successful people I "know" online (we both hang out at Y Combinator's Hacker News aggregator) is making a very good living with a bingo card creator, which is nothing more, really, than shuffling and dealing a large deck of cards algorithmically, then arranging the numbers (or whatever you're categorizing) for print. But he's found the perfect target market -- schoolteachers who are willing to pay a little out of their own pocket to make the learning experience fun for kids -- and that's what it takes to turn something simple and even of limited utility into a money printer.

Who knows? There may be enough people who can't wait for tomorrow's newspaper to find out where they went wrong. But I think you'll find there's more value in the source code than in the running program.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
I don't know if it will sell as a product, but it may sell you as a developer. It depends on the algorithms you're using, how you're deciding when a search fails, and so forth. Solving sudoku puzzles has a lot in common with solving other sorts of problems, particularly in inventory management, fulfillment, transportation and logistics, fleet management and so forth. If your approach is efficient and fails quickly, it makes you more valuable.

Then again, it's really hard to figure out what will be successful commercially. One of the very successful people I "know" online (we both hang out at Y Combinator's Hacker News aggregator) is making a very good living with a bingo card creator, which is nothing more, really, than shuffling and dealing a large deck of cards algorithmically, then arranging the numbers (or whatever you're categorizing) for print. But he's found the perfect target market -- schoolteachers who are willing to pay a little out of their own pocket to make the learning experience fun for kids -- and that's what it takes to turn something simple and even of limited utility into a money printer.

Who knows? There may be enough people who can't wait for tomorrow's newspaper to find out where they went wrong. But I think you'll find there's more value in the source code than in the running program.

Its definitely efficient.. It solves in less than a second, no kidding..
Hmm, you've made a very strong point, and made it very clearly.. thanks for that! :)

What would you suggest i do with the software(or its source code) then?

Last edited:

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would suggest adding it to your portfolio if you have one or ever do make one, and present it to any potential employers if you start searching for a job in the programming field. Go ahead and see if you can sell it, as well. It wouldn't hurt to try ;)

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I should do what Sj.Wolfe said. I could include it in my portfolio(have to make one) and keep trying..

One more question though, should I sell it to other people who buy softwares and sell it or should i sell it directly in the market? o_O

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I Googled and found several sudoku solver program. I haven't tried them yet tho. Is your program very unique?

jensenajob22

Reaction score
this week on bbc-click they showed an app that alows you to scan a soduku with iPhone cam, and the puzzle will be solved in sckds.. !
The problem with own apps is that someone has done it already.. and often better :/
You were propl sadly also too late

whatsvir

Reaction score
I don't think it would sell, because if someone wants to solve Sudoku for a fun, why would he use an automated program at all??

However i do really think that it might help you in your employment, if you publish it online and take the credit..

frankfriend

Reaction score
OK - do a survey of your competition, set the price at an attractive level, and spend a lot of time on promotion! And as Whooopphats67 said, consider an iphone app - before you do that check out the Apple App store for competition & prices

kinley3

Reaction score
I don't see why someone would use a program to solve a Sudoku puzzle. It defeats the purpose of doing the Sudoku in the first place.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Thank you all for ur suggestions! :)
IPhone app sounds cool.. however I cant really code that :p haha

However, I released the software for purchase today for 4USD and its got 3 sales in 4 hours! :D
CSmart Sudoku Solver

Out of which 1 even sent an email with a thank you ^_^

Probably any of u could purchase or give ur wishes? haha :p

nilmini3287

Reaction score
Gimme your frank opinions about it..

Ive developed a software which solves sudokus for you.. ( check Wikipedia or Google it if you dont know what they are)..
It uses 8 algorithms to arrive at a solution, and if that fails then brute force method. So guaranteed 101% results.
I plan on selling it.

What do u think?

Good Idea
What ever happens we have to make the first move any how
Wish u all the best