Windos 7 (NTFS vs WFS)

allinone

Reaction score
I have heard that windows 7 is having a different file system called wfs which dont have file and folder concept , so what you think guys willl it reduce the need of antivirus .........

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Could you give us an info source? I've never heard of this before and can't find anything on Google either. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Cool, that sounds a bit like the ReiserFS. I don't see how it will eliminate the need for AVs though. If you really want to get rid of your AV, I suggest you move to Linux. ;)

allinone

Reaction score
even linux is not virus free.....i was thinking that if new filesystem is introduced then at least for some time we will get rid of viruses

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Even if the file system changes, it won't reduce the need for anti-virus/anti-malware software. All it will do is force virus writers to create new kinds of malware. Also, it'll force the Linux community to reverse engineer the file system so that Linux can understand the file system.

vekou

Reaction score
are you sure that it'll be in windows7? i thought the project was dead 3 years ago?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Would the increased complexity of WinFS make it slower though?

Much like the change from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, changing the file system unless there is something seriously wrong with it, or unless it was seriously coded very well, would not yield much in terms of speed boost/slow down. But yet again I may be wrong.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Much like the change from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, changing the file system unless there is something seriously wrong with it, or unless it was seriously coded very well, would not yield much in terms of speed boost/slow down. But yet again I may be wrong.

There was no change from FAT32 to NTFS. The Windows OS's based on DOS used FAT, the ones based on the NT kernel have always been NTFS. As XP is based on 2000/the NT family, it's always had NTFS. The inclusion of the FAT FS is for compatibility reasons.

malfist

Reaction score
NTFS is borked. Switched to a journaled filesystem like JFS or EXT4. They work a lot better, and you never have to defragment.

debio264

Reaction score
even linux is not virus free.....i was thinking that if new filesystem is introduced then at least for some time we will get rid of viruses

Uhhhh, yes it is. Secure logins must be used to block the script kiddies, but aside from that, we have no major security problems whatsoever, and we definitely have no viruses.
All the Linux antivirus apps exist to scan for Windows viruses, and they are frequently used in Linux mail servers.
See http://librenix.com/?inode=21 for someone else's view on the matter.

Oh, and a different filesystem won't stop Windows viruses, if only because some of them never touch the filesystem. Virus writers will adapt, and it won't be a problem for them.

Last edited:

snehasis

Reaction score
Actually WinFS is a database oriented file system that has some pros and cons depending on user type, but its very good for business usage. MS is currently working on a different file system similar to ext4 for windows 8. NTFS will follow the FAT path.

slacker3

Reaction score
i have installed win7 ultimate, there is no new filesystem

but this wouldn't make any difference since most viruses just don't care about the filesystem you are using

read about alternate data streams on ntfs here
http://www.heysoft.de/en/information/ntfs-ads.php?lang=EN

microsoft implemented it to get more users raped from bad software, i guess.. :biggrin:

malfist

Reaction score
Uhhhh, yes it is. Secure logins must be used to block the script kiddies, but aside from that, we have no major security problems whatsoever, and we definitely have no viruses.
All the Linux antivirus apps exist to scan for Windows viruses, and they are frequently used in Linux mail servers.
See http://librenix.com/?inode=21 for someone else's view on the matter.

Oh, and a different filesystem won't stop Windows viruses, if only because some of them never touch the filesystem. Virus writers will adapt, and it won't be a problem for them.

Actually, linux does have viruses, just very few and mostly only proof of concept virii. It should be taken into account that even though there are less viruses, more viruses are unlikely because of the permission schema on linux. A virus would need to have root access to do damage, and most users can not, not give it that, but wouldn't do so even if they could. Unlike on windows systems where you're highly encouraged to run as a root user.

Hauzer

Reaction score
bitsen: The abbreviation of Windows Future Storage is WinFS (WFS). You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS

So, Windows 7 will use this format? The RC of Windows 7 doesn't seem to and that's the release client before it's sold out. So, I'm sure they would of tested it before hand? To be honest, I don't really like the look of it. Also, FAT32, there is a difference from NTFS as FAT32 only can detect 500GB (I think it was). Can't remember too well but other than that I don't really notice any difference.

Linux, as others have stated does have viruses. Viruses are user made so, it's possible to code them. As it gets known more and more, users may create more too. However, also Linux creates more security patches in updates. The viruses are very rare, I've never really got one when I tested out Linux.

malfist

Reaction score
Linux, as others have stated does have viruses. Viruses are user made so, it's possible to code them. As it gets known more and more, users may create more too. However, also Linux creates more security patches in updates. The viruses are very rare, I've never really got one when I tested out Linux.

You didn't listen to me. Linux is by default more secure than windows because it actively discourages logging in as an admin/root. Take debian and it's derivatives, like ubuntu, you can't even login as root. Everything has to be given temporary elevation with su or sudo. The most a virus could do on linux without super user powers is trash the home folder of the user running the virus, and trash /tmp. Not much else, unless it gains root access which is unlikely.