Windows 7 Installation Help

wongers

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

ive come to install Windows 7, this i am very pleased about, got my PC turned on, Win7 disc inserted and its stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen.

i know it hasnt crashed because i can still see the windows simble pulsating as it does.

and ive tried the RC7 client disc and now full win7 pro disc. same problem. is there something i can do or just give up and put XP on? (i refuse to recognise Vista as an O/S)

will provide any further as requested :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Can you provide your PC's specs? Mention any special modes you might be running such as RAID arrays.

wongers

Reaction score
AMD Athlon x2 4200+
MSI K7N Ultra board (non-sli version)
4GB RAM, not 100% on brand, can find out if required
ATI x1650pro 512mb gfx.
DVD burner (IDE)
1 x 160gb SATA
2 x 1TB SATA (unplugged)

anything specific?

steronius

Reaction score
i'm sure you've moved on by now, but i'd do the following:
wipe your cd/dvd real clean. blow out your cd-rom.
unplug all non-essential hardware. even inside the computer case, and try booting the disc again.
walk away from the pc for a half hour, (watched water never boils)

wongers

Reaction score
did all that :p

i unplugged all PCI cards, hard drives, literally went down to the bare essentials, even went as far as taking RAM out and stuff like that.

seriously having none of it, so im just using an old laptop for now as i got a bit angry with it and im just going to wait til i get my nice new shiney i7 rig ordered :) which is hopefully going to be with me sometime next week :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've been awfully busy as of late if you didn't see my signature. I don't see anything wrong with your current desktop that would have caused Windows to hang like that. The hardware you have there is perfectly capable of running Windows 7. Is Safe Mode doing the same thing as well?

Last edited:

steronius

Reaction score
spare time??? test the disc for CRC/MD5 errors, or test an install in a virtual machine...

Need special hard-drive drivers? Reset BIOS to defaults? (Change them appropriately afterward though)...

Last edited:

fekete

Reaction score
I have seen this happen when you leave a USB stick inadveratntly in one of the USB ports.

Just a thought!

hlastimosa

Reaction score
i would agree with fekete and strenious , might be having a USB plugged in somewhere, try loading the BIOS to user defaults and then to manufacturer defaults. If it would get past the POST screen and load the OS , would mean that it could be an OS problem, try a clean install as well that might help.

lhyman

Reaction score
(after you checked your usb ports to make sure nothing is plugged into any of them)

If it's a bare hard drive, you could try installing vista, then once vista is up and running, insert the win 7 dvd and try doing the install....

see if that works

krofunk

Reaction score
I find it unlikely but in the past I have had a faulty DVD drive that only worked "most" of the time (read errors etc), if its possible try and use a different optical drive.