Windows 7 RC or Beta?

mjserv

Reaction score
Windows 7 will replace the unpopular Vista, was originally planned for roll-out at the beginning of next year, but Microsoft confirmed that it would hit the market in time for the year's busiest shopping period.

Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On July 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will send you a notice a couple of weeks in advance, and that’d be the ideal time to rebuild your test PC with a non-expired version of Windows, such as the RC or Windows Vista. This will be a clean installation, so be ready to reinstall your programs and data.

Wait let me understand this.... When the beta period finishes and we re install vista all our saved data will be deleted and we will have to reinstall everything again???? Surely that cant be right?

Well..

RC improves upon Windows 7 in a lot of ways, including stability, security and others. Also, since 7077 and the Beta are no longer supported (7077 never was) they are full of holes hackers can use to pentrate your system.

For anyone who plans to purchase Windows 7 when it is released October 22nd, you might like to know that you can now pre-order your copy of Windows 7 for a discounted price! For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer

Last edited:

conker87

Reaction score
I've had it since the beta in Feb, it's been very good to me. I acquired the RC as soon as it was available.

It's features way surpass Vista, and even XP. Pinning to the task bar has been my favourite change, while just the general upgrades are welcome.

As for purchasing it? I'll probably get it free anyway since I'm a student (dreamspark and all) so no worries there. The RC runs out next July (?) I think so those with it have quite a while yet.

tridge

Reaction score
I've been running the RC for a few months, it has me saving my money for the official release. 64bit Ultimate.

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
I have also been using the Windows 7 RC for a few months and the only problem I have had is trying to get Paint Shop Pro X working with Aero. I am also saving up for it. :)

Hauzer

Reaction score
Been running the RC quite a while now, no problems what so ever. A lot of users say it may crash from time to time etc.. mine hasn't even crashed once.

I'm also running it under 1GB RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Processor and Nvidia 6800 Graphics card.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I just upgraded to RC from Vista last night due to Vista crashing all the time... thumbs up so far :)

Doppelgangergang

Reaction score
I liked the Beta more. For me, it was faster and just worked. Now they made it suck. Same machine, but slower and used 5-10% of CPU all the time on idle. Gah.