Windows 7(Vienna)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
So Vista truly is truly the modern day Millenium Edition!

Feel sorry for the users that get it preinstalled.

But my opinion is based on whether your answer is true or not

Mind explaining how Vista is the modern day ME? I've never had a problem with Vista on my gaming machine. I did build it myself, so that might show a factor. Otherwise, the only problem I had with Vista was when it first came out. It was a buggy GeForce video driver that would choke when I gamed.

vol7ron

Reaction score
They might drop all the good features that they talk up beforehand, like they did with Vista.

Mind explaining how Vista is the modern day ME? I've never had a problem with Vista on my gaming machine. I did build it myself, so that might show a factor. Otherwise, the only problem I had with Vista was when it first came out. It was a buggy GeForce video driver that would choke when I gamed.

You should both read my first post: http://forums.x10hosting.com/computers-technology/83148-windows-7-vienna-2.html#post457033

Vista is modern day ME in the sense that it is a dressed up version of it's predecessor, with some of the new functionality intended for it its successor.

Vista is not a bad OS, it's just not something completely new. It's like putting a New Ferrari engine in last year's Jetta - there are some new capabilities, but it's not exactly a Ferrari. What will be good is Windows 8 - not Windows 7, but Windows 8. It will be more asynchronous driven, optimally designed to manage 8+ cores. Which, with Nehalem coming out is feasible in the near future. Windows 7 will be able to manage 1-4 cores fine, but anything above is not really utilized.

Basically what we're looking at: Vista is good with a new system, but really isn't worth paying the xtra money for the upgrade. Windows 7 may be worth paying for as an upgrade from XP, but we shall really wait to see.

psgalaxy91

Reaction score
I' don't know much about Windows 7... but I really would have to use a keyboard and mouse over a microphone.

And don't bash Vista, it wasn't that bad. If you hate it so much go build your own OS.

Jordan C

Reaction score
I think Windows 7 should be good, there adding a new core/base, so it'll be unlike all the others.

I also heard Microsoft's already planning Windows 8/9 and maybe even 10.

intertec

Reaction score
I think windows 7 will be good performance wise. There isn't a whole new graphic scheme. Most of it, looks like Windows Vista. So windows 7 is just a very, very big service pack:)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
But often the GUI is the last thing they change - Longhorn (early betas of Vista) were basically recoloured versions of XP with a few extras here and there.

vol7ron

Reaction score
But often the GUI is the last thing they change - Longhorn (early betas of Vista) were basically recoloured versions of XP with a few extras here and there.
Agreed. The thing is, it's hard to build/redesign something that makes sense. The GUI is functional and one of the reasons people stick to Windows over Apple - there is no relearning.

The issue, though, is that for the common user the GUI is one of the reasons that consumers buy new OSs. Enthusiasts are the ones that care about how big, how strong, how fast they can make the OS, but it's ultimately the aesthetics that bring the common man to making an impulsive decision. The functionality is what's necessary to keep the consumers happy - sadly, the GUI is what makes them purchase it.

In my opinion, I would like to see Windows shipped with finger drives that make backup/restores much easier. Or even, rather than a DVD being shipped, an installation finger drive could be sent in a box, possibly preinstalled with Windows on it? So I guess to reiterate my opinion, the next OSs shouldn't just be known for the software, but also should be packaged with additional hardware.

As mentioned, phase out the DVD/Blurays, and focus on USB storage devices. You could even couple the OS with a USB security key that could be used to assure a user is an administrator, etc.