Windows 7

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you checked the reports from AllThingD yesterday night.. They quick presented Windows 7 (which will be the successor to Vista) and there is also a video available of it (http://d6.allthingsd.com/20080528/windows-7-touch-demo/). It mostly like the "surface" they showed last year but for a desktop/laptop. I think there are great possibilities behind that but I have no idea how people would react to it. The menu located where you point could be well-used in my opinion.

What do you think about all this?

javajenius

Reaction score
I think that this is crap, since i'm going to have to buy a new lcd touch screen monitor. I just bought my comp. like 6 months ago, and now it looks like i wasted the money on old technology.

I would not buy this, and i think they are not going to make a lot of money if they release it.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Don't worry, Windows 7 is still 2 or so years away. I want a new LCD monitor anyway, the one I have only has a VGA input, and a response time of 16ms. :(

I would buy this. The touchscreen is a bit like Sideshow in Vista - it's a major feature, but requires extra devices that not all PCs have.

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Just like any other windows versions ( Win98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista ) will take time before companies start using it / requiring it on computers. Not everyone has Vista yet ... so don't panic. No need to go rushing out to get Win 7 quite yet.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I hope that this will be nothing like the final release for Windows 7. All this stuff I heard about a smaller lightweight Windows kernel better be true (for Microsoft's sake). Surface is rather useless to me, not to mention the fact that I'd have to wipe the screen every time I used it... I believe the mouse and keyboard are here to stay. Microsoft should just release an improved version of XP, I would be quite satisfied!

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Wikipedia has an article on Windows 7 here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7
I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I don't think I'll be getting Windows 7 when it comes out, I'm still using XP and have no plans to change to Vista. Anyway it'll be at least 2 if not 3 years before Microsoft release it.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
meh its just an upgraded version of vista maybe this time the people who switch from xp to windows 7 wont have that much, preferably no issues at all

moreuse

Reaction score
i ust hope windows 7 not need ridiculusly high system req like Vista when its released

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I have no intention of buying another version of Windows. XP is a perfectly stable and reliable OS and I don't want to move. I flatly refuse to upgrade my hardware every time a new version of Windows comes out, this is past a joke now.

Nope, I'll stick to openSUSE 11.0 and Windows XP thank you very much :biggrin:

-Luke.

epoclaen

Reaction score
Wow, that looks awful.

Here's what I saw from that presentation:
1. I need a new monitor.
2. I need new software which integrates the multi-touch interface, which likely will be applications that are strictly Microsoft-specific in nature.
3. It has no practical use that can't be achieved from a mouse or graphics tablet.
4. It's going to smudge up my screen.
5. Monitor size will be critical for even simple non-multimedia applications.

I agree that WinXP is the OS of choice. Vista seems like a downgrade to me. If I had oodles of cash and nothing to do with it then I might consider looking at this new OS.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Windows XP will be outdated by the time Windows 7 comes out. Not many people used 98 when Vista came out. ;)

I'm happy with Vista, but I like being up to date as well.

Last edited:

mac173

Reaction score
Windows XP will be outdated by the time Windows 7 comes out. Not many people used 98 when Vista came out. ;)

I'm happy with Vista, but I like being up to date as well.

Likely you are right, but recently Microsoft hinted that they may extend the life of XP at the insistance of the OEM's. The major OEM's are still selling more computers with XP then with Vista, and business is very reluctant to upgrade.

I work for a state government, and they made the decision to delay any upgrades or new purchases until it can be decided if Vista can be integrated into the old systems that are the backbone of the state information system. The state canceled a sale of 68,000 computers (Dell is crying....) because of the inability of Vista to integrate with legacy systems. They are actually testing several flavors of Linux alongside Vista now, and the Linux systems have NO problems integrating (LOL, the legacy mainframes are UNIX!) so they may go that way.

GO TUX!