Windows 8 Dev Preview build

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've already downloaded it. When I get home I'm installing it to a Virtual Machine.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It is, at least by default. Remember, this OS is designed to work across tablets and "traditional" computers; the touchscreen-style interface is a big part of what makes it work. The "classic" Windows UI (and the heavy "classic" API) is only invoked when necessary. When you consider that, for most people, a computer is really nothing more than an information appliance, the concentration on consumption applications and home-screen "micro-reporting" is a huge plus. If you need to go beyond that, though, the "classic" functionality is invoked when an application that requires it is also invoked.

nexhunter

Reaction score
so much fun in my computer science class i was trying to install my download onto a virtual machine and it kept failing to install checked to make sure everything was set properly all was darn download failed and my schools (college) internet is slow as molasses during the day and even during the night another fun 10 hour download -_-, everyone would think a technology school in downtown Boston would have a stable and very good internet connection.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Got Windows 8 to install properly and start up, so yes it certainly does remind me big time of turning a VM into a giant Windows Phone/Zune. Anyways, upon logging in it would not do anything but land at a Black desktop/Interface, so I'm curious as to what it was trying to load up at the time. I'll see if I can get the thing to work completely tonight. Installation took about 10 minutes in total, so that was certainly a breeze.g

nexhunter

Reaction score
Got Windows 8 to install properly and start up, so yes it certainly does remind me big time of turning a VM into a giant Windows Phone/Zune. Anyways, upon logging in it would not do anything but land at a Black desktop/Interface, so I'm curious as to what it was trying to load up at the time. I'll see if I can get the thing to work completely tonight. Installation took about 10 minutes in total, so that was certainly a breeze.g

if it was your first launch then it was probably setting up the thing like when windows 7 is ran for the first time it has to set that stuff up same thing with win8 but it a black screen instead was up at 1am est installing it and going through the setup everything but the metro apps work but im downloading the 64bit version right now (running on 32bit right now) and see if the dev tools will help anything besides having a new version of visual studio for my cs class :D

dturton40

Reaction score
I will try and have a look at some point, I have a spare HDD or two laying around which I can install to, but still happy with Win 7 at the moment, its a shame Win7 wont have the same sort of lifespan as XP which because it was out for so long like server 2003 has become a really stable platform (well stable for Microsoft)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
if it was your first launch then it was probably setting up the thing like when windows 7 is ran for the first time it has to set that stuff up same thing with win8 but it a black screen instead was up at 1am est installing it and going through the setup everything but the metro apps work but im downloading the 64bit version right now (running on 32bit right now) and see if the dev tools will help anything besides having a new version of visual studio for my cs class :D

It was sitting there for over an hour, which was basically to the point where people would call it the Black Screen of Death. It wasn't consuming any CPU what so ever according to the VM Monitor. Upon resetting the VM it did come up with the correct login page, since this Black Screen issue occurred AFTER I set up my user profile and it tried to switch to the desktop. I have an idea of what is going on with it so I'm going to give it a re-install with some different settings. I bet it has to do with Hardware Virtualization since I am using that.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry about the Double Post, but I did in fact get Windows 8 to load up. Apparently it hates having PAE/NX enabled on the VM Side of things. Hardware Virtualization is required, so I was right in that aspect, but I was also right in it being a Hardware Virtualization setting.

Perhaps this blog entry describes what I ran with: http://seansite.dyndns.org/blog/?p=439 (My blog, by the way).

supanut200042

Reaction score
It's pretty nice, I've tried it in VMware Workstation 8.
It's pretty slow though, but I guest that's because it's in a virtual machine. Can't wait for the beta!

Darkmere

Reaction score
Is it possible to make windows 8 dual boot with xp??

Why would you want both ... Like Windows 7 Windows 8 is built on the XP platform and you can actually switch back and forth from the OS itself by selecting XP Mode

sgupta.vedanta56

Reaction score
hey, am downloading.
But not sure what is the diff b/w a windows 8 os and a developers preview. Is it like using demo of windows 8 OS or is it like only for developers using xml and javascript to develop a metro style apps :?
is anyone aware of it.
I wanna try testing windows 8, does someone have a link for the same?
Please share. Thnxs.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
hey, am downloading.
But not sure what is the diff b/w a windows 8 os and a developers preview. Is it like using demo of windows 8 OS or is it like only for developers using xml and javascript to develop a metro style apps :?
is anyone aware of it.
I wanna try testing windows 8, does someone have a link for the same?
Please share. Thnxs.

The Developer Preview IS Windows 8 itself, however in a form that allows Developers to toy around with it while Microsoft develops the operating system a bit more. It still hasn't even hit Beta yet and it still has a bit to go before it even hits Beta.