Windows + Linux Dual Booting Help

moose

Reaction score
Hey, so yeah, I'm definately gonna find out how to dual boot linux with my win XP to stay.

Just yeah, I'm definately lazy and have exams for the nex 4 days, having to wake up at like, 5:30 in the mornings. Ghey.

Sooo, I don't want this thread to be just another thread to post all you want from searching on google for 3 seconds.

This means, I don't want any cheap tutorial some random person made that will screw up my computer if 1 spec is different from his.

I'm currently trying to find some on my own, but if you are willing to help, I would be glad to read it for you. (Haha, just kidding.)

Please help. Thanks :)

[-EDIT-]

Also, I am wanting a tutorial on how to install linux on a partition.

Last edited:

swirly

Reaction score
umm i recently reinstalled windowsxp and when i did i just did like a copy over the old one...anyways when i did it was asking did i want to dual boot(2 os's) and it said more info on this go to some microsoft help article...maybe theres something bout it on there i can look somtime if u dont get anyhelp...check xps help file F1.....

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I installed linux on my xp pro system not to long ago. @ points I can think of. 1.) Remember to add grub boot loader to the boot sequence. (It should ask if you want to) and 2.) There is something called "Boot flags" They also have to be set right.Also watch this video, it really helped me.

Watch this

Last edited:

moose

Reaction score
Haha yeah, I found that video too, just the point where they said it takes around an hour and a half after 15 minutes of watching them stand around.. yeah.. I just really don't time right now I guess.

Maaybe after the exams.

Thanks for the help though guys :)

chitwa

Reaction score
Ok, i didn't get you well. If you want to boot one OS at a time, quickest way to do it, install windows then linux, linux grub or lilo automatically configures so that you can boot either of the oses. iF YOU WANT TO BOOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, keep looking. Someone out there is crazy enough to do it. Ive installed windows and Linux on diff partitions of the same hdisk. Partition with windows first (or partition magic if you dont want to lose data). Then install linux on the extended partition.

moose

Reaction score
I think I get it now.. Maybe I'll use my laptop for a test.. Haha, but I don't have a recovery disk!! Agh. This stuff totally bores me.. I should have an elf.

moose

Reaction score
Mmm.. Sexyness.

Installing a dual boot environment on my laptop as I pack for a trip.. :)

moose

Reaction score
Brilliant.

I got my copy of Ubuntu running dual with my XP on my laptop.

Still not too used to all the apps, and how everything works, but feel proud of myself, and think it's a good way to stay away from Windows for a while.. Maybe I'll miss it and it'll be better when I use it, or, maybe I will never use XP ever again. Haha.

Well yeah, all I did was, went and bought a copy of Partition Magic and used the feature "Install Other OS" or something, and had to follow the steps, reboot, then just reboot with the Linux Installer CD and follow steps.

Done in an hour sharp. Great :)

chitwa

Reaction score
Yeeeeah! As Morphius ones said, welcome to the real world. It may be rough, it may be unforgiving, but the knowledge you gain will sure beat the protection you had in Windows. Go for it. The help files in Linux are normally called HOWTOS. I don' t know whether you can find these on their site. Go there and search HOWTO. You will get everything from customising an app to setting up a server.