Windows Office 2010 Beta Free!

Danielx386

Reaction score
Oh Nice. I saw that on TechNet yesterday. I'm hoping that my experience will be better this time :)

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I just installed it and used it to type up some notes.

Is it just me or is it noticeably laggy? Its beta so I expect bugs but everything seems much slower than in 2007.

pcjonathan

Reaction score
I didn't know they release a public one. I have been testing 2010 for at least a month or two or even more. It seems cool sometimes and alright other times.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with the 2007 version for now until other people report the bugs and Microsoft fixes them. :p

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with the 2007 version for now until other people report the bugs and Microsoft fixes them. :p

See you in 2015 ;)

In all seriousness, I agree; I like to know the apps I'm using aren't "beta" and prone to data-loss and complete epic fail of execution.

p0qnt

Reaction score
I just stick with OO.Org for now still. I just fire up Office if I need to track changes.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I downloaded the 2010 Beta last night and installed it to my Windows 7 Virtual Machine. I haven't played around with it too much but I did look through the first-look changes though. They didn't lose the ribbons so I'm assuming Office 2007 haters will be hating on 2010 over the ribbons, but I assume now in this version you can edit the ribbons.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with the ribbon.

I haven't seen much difference apart from it being a different colour, but I'm not sure if I like the new File menu.

srikri

Reaction score
I just downloaded and install. The UI seem to be cool. But it is slow compared to previous versions and needs more memory and space. For now I will stick with Oo_Org.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Everything looks ok. But can't be judge now. Once final version is released then can say something.
:)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Is it me or the colors on the website are a bit harsh? White on yellow, not the best. Me as well, i'll wait for an RC release or a revised beta before downloading. For the moment, i'll stick with my 2007 student edition, which is not giving me too much problems.

mrmartin

Reaction score
I'll stick to OO. I really don't like the new office versions the 2001 version is still the best IMO.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Well, there was Office 2001 for Mac...

I downloaded and installed it, just because I needed a copy of Publisher quickly for a project. (Oh kill me now... I didn't realize just how brutally it sucks!) I've barely played with it much beyond that, but it does feel kinda slow on my 2GHz dual-core, and something about the colour scheme bugs me. It's too... bright and shiny, as opposed to the current "light and clean" trend. Seriously Microsoft, this looks like what was popular in 2006.

--- Mr. DOS