Windows or Linux?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters

Pyker

Reaction score
What's your favourite? Windows or Linux?

I personally support Windows 'cuz there are many apps that only work with Windows.
About Linux, well... I like Linux but not for daily use. Only sometimes to relax.... ;)

Also Linux has more security. :lockd:

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
Windows...if Linux had more programs that worked on it. [Especially games, not all games work on Wine, yanno.]

panop

Reaction score
What about Mac? Personally, I like mac better because it doesn't carry many of the problems associated with Windows, and it isn't as anarchic as Linux is. Furthermore, the quality of Linux really depends on the distribution type that you get. For example, I have to say that Debian Linux is better than SUSE Linux (but that's just my opinion).

Of those two choices, though, I have to say that Linux is better because it gives you more free reign and more control over the actual os. Plus, I run many intranet web servers at my school, and Linux works great for that aspect.

Finally, windows just sucks! I feel like :rant2:whenever I work with it. :biggrin:

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I like Linux and though a dual booter use Linux for most of the time unless I want to play games. Not many run on Linux.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Windows, 'coz I play games. And Office works on it too. And looks good to boot. :biggrin:

kajasweb

Reaction score
Windows is for Desktop Works.. (Documentation, games, etc... )
Linux is for Developers (Code.. Code... and Code.. for lifetime)

Just a small edit to eddysweb's post... Windows has compatibility where Linux is always STABLE.

I like Linux... I Love Linux..

Last edited:

shaunak

Reaction score
I love linux.

I think it would be wrong to strerotype linux as a "geek's" OS because today it is nearly as intutive and easy to use as windows. Just the file system may confuse a beginer.

Most windows apps can be made to run on a tux box via Wine and today most companies release Linux versions of their products, so compatibility isnt an issue any more.

Linux is inherently more secure.

Updated for linux are much faster than windows updateds and revisions, and the linux community can afford to release a brand new OS every day without worring about market situations, simple because linux, like all good things in life is FREE!

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Well of course people love windows b/c of the familiarity and compatibility. But don't worry folks, years from now Linux will be popular enough to have devs for it(more like mac in a sense). It is already starting to be placed as a factory installed OS. Not really in retail, but you can buy some online, so give that time and Linux will be more comfortable and compatible.

While I select Windows myself and do not mind the system at all. Windows is the most comfortable system for users today(note the word 'users') and being the defauly OS of pretty much all computers, has the widest array of developers(for apps and games, etc.).

I will say that I do enjoy Linux as an OS. There are a lot of distrobutions out there, and that is one thing that can stray users. Imagine if you were going to buy a PC at Bestbuy, and then they asked you if you wanted Windows XP, Windows Classic, Windows Vista, Windows Vista Basic, Windows Vista Premium, Windows HD, Windows PE, etc. When you have so many versions to choose from most people don't have time or want to figure out all the differences and then try to figure out which one is best for them. There are plenty of distros that try to be the complete package though. I personally like Sabayon, mainly because it is the most compatible version I've used(works cleanly with any PC I've tried it on, no extra drivers or installations needed). But of course this might not be good for everyone.

So hopefully soon there will be not exactly fewer options, but fewer mainstream options as a major version of Linux(kind of like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva are today) and will be clear-cut solutions for users today. Nothing against all these wonderful developers and distros out there, but it is like buying a new car from a brand you don't know much about and there are 50 different models in each class. How can you really know which one to pick? You don't really want to test drive all of them...

[EDIT]
oh, and before I forget. alexandgruntz, you do realize that even though MS Office runs on Windows, Open Office runs on all OSes, right? OpenOffice works just like MS Office(for the most part, can't be a clone b/c that would be illegal and pointless). And it can work with the MS Office files as well(except those crazy new 2007 ones...).

Last edited:

gothcrow

Reaction score
I like Linux
Linux is not CODE CODE CODE, Linux has games (Arena)...
In linux u can use the same programs that u use in windows.
The most important in windows for "normal" people it´s microsoft office, in Linux you can use Open Office, it´s the same thing.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
All linux lovers you people rocks , I too beginning to love Linux after a large research on the number of different Linux modified system available in today world.

I tried RedHat , Suse and also knoppix they all rocks big time. Then I found out Ubuntu , this is a must have for sweet lovers of Linux and simplicity of user who likes to have virus free , super fast loading as compared to windows xp. Do not need much maintance.

Linux is also one of the biggest Open Source Software that is Free, to have so much cool application made by developer for linux is so much wider and beyond what you can take in. You probably need alot of years to understand what windows xp can do for you as compared to Linux takes 1 days and you will be addicted forever.

Yes Linux dun have Visual Basic or program development but give it time to mature, because Linux will never stop progressing the impossible, the will find ways to build it.

I use Windows too, but that one basically for do some things which linux cannot do, I am currently trying out VirtualBox Linux version ( The free that do not need to pay VMware solution) can use windows in it moreover.

I am now addicted to Ubuntu speed and simplicity.

Songwind

Reaction score
I have switched to Linux pretty much full time. I don't do that much gaming on my computer anymore, which is the only thing that would have prevented me. Right now I just use World of Warcraft (runs great under Wine) and Second Life (native Linux client). Everything else I do works as well or better as it did in Windows.

reichiru

Reaction score
I use Windows, I don't even KNOW what Linux is lol. I really need to get out more often.

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
lol, to quote stealth_thunder: "Linux is also one of the biggest Open Source Software that is Free", isn't all open source free? I mean, it is open source meaning everyone is allowed to download the source, mod it or whatever. don't know how you can charge for any software that people can download and compile for free.... who knows, maybe i'm wrong.(and linux isn't technically software, it's an os and software runs on your os).

I really think in most cases you have two great solutions.
- Dual boot a version(or two) of Linux and Windows XP.
- Run a virtual pc of Linux on Windows

Both ways you are not obligated to dive into a somewhat newer os. You can use your familiar Windows(XP) and run all you games and apps, but then of course when you want to have fun, or just experience some nice open source development at its best, run Linux(either through boot or VirtualPC/VirtualBox).

Oh, and before I forget, even better as a choice, just download and burn a CD/DVD of your favorite version of Linux. Never have to install and you can still experience Linux. I have probably 15 or so Linux Distros total(most are on CD, but some are still ISO saved on USB HD).

Also, why can't Apple suck it up and just sell their OS without their hardware? To me, Apple is stupid as they will ONLY sell OSX with their Mac hardware. While Linux over here is getting better and better and basically, is the free version of OSX that can run on your standard x86 PC. OSX and Linux are very similar(in a lot of way), but one option is completely free, easy to try and install and so on.

Wrestlesomnia

Reaction score
I have to go with windows, seeing as i have never used Linux. I have used Ubuntu, which i hate. I also used a few mac OS's but windows is my favorite.

rmojica

Reaction score
i go for Linux, we all know that windows dominates the world but still windows is not only the best choice there's always better.

Splatzone

Reaction score
I chose windows.

Honestly, I've tried Ubuntu, Knome (or whatever it's called) and they just weren't for me. Probs because of my DSL connection and I couldn't get online!

Windows has many flaws but I don't think I could ever fully migrate from it.

Unless, of course, I was moving to a Mac...