Windows or Linux?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
windows if you want simplicity linux if you want knowledge and power.

Veelox

Reaction score
I will always go with Windows OS instead of Linux OS. Windows OS is far more superior to Linux, and always will be. Plus, all of the decent software is mainly programmed/created for Windows OS and not Linux. So yes, Windows OS FTW

drelix0166

Reaction score
I like Windows because its just a Window... LOL.. and also Linux because its neat... :D

andres25cba53

Reaction score
The problems with Linux are his high compatibility problems. Now you have a lot of alternatives but, for example, most games only run good in windows.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Windows of course. Never tried Linux before

LINUX is for advanced users, not very friendly. If you dont know what you are doing you will get flustered. I have installed LINUX on so many systems and then had to go back and remove it because most peeps get dumbfounded when trying to use it lol

Pixaro

Reaction score
Want to chose linux but windows can handle games better!

khopcraft77

Reaction score
I like Windows better. I like Linux, but I just don't need it. I dual boot Mac and Windows. Mac is there in case I ever want to do iPhone stuff.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
@khop: you don't need Mac to develop on iDevices anymore, last I've heard
@surya: actually, GNOME (Ubuntu's default Windowing System) is making leaps and bounds towards being more like Macs, which makes it less easy for Windows users to figure out what's all going on :)

I use all three ("all" being a misnomer, as there are more than 3, but anyway), although I prefer Windows more for everyday activities due to software such as Office (and no, OpenOffice doesn't even begin to compare to MS Office), Visual Studio (the debugging features are godly, although gdb is also quite good), and video games :)
I use linux mostly for webservers (well, servers in general, although Active Directory is quite nice), and macs for absolutely nothing (besides playing around with them :p)

All three have their upsides and downsides, and they all shine in differing aspects, so yeah. Personal opinion: I like Windows, but you should get whatever you're comfortable with.

wc3garage82

Reaction score
if i'm gonna go for software, i'll go windows since most known things can be installed on windows.
if you want just surfing or some clean and free from viruses, then i might go for linux.
but if you don't want to use any of these OS, watch a television D:

Darkmere

Reaction score
I'm not really sure about this... Windows is pretty confusing too (for me, at least). I never know what's really happening on my PC. What's this program doing? Why does this program launch at startup? What's this service for? Why is it running? Do I need it? What will happen if I stop it?

See your general Computer User can careless about any of that ... I found that the general comp user is very confused about all the things on Linux. If I had to put it in stats I would say about 70 to 75% of the users I installed LINUX for hated it due to confusion and wanted Windows.

theislandcrew

Reaction score
I love playing with Linux but I'm stuck on Windows because of two things:
- Microsoft Office which LibreOffice is not yet fully compatible with. MS Office is almost a must for my study and work.
- Games which have no Linux versions.

And the third:
- My laptop came with genuine Windows 7.

I do have PCLOS 2010 installed on my desktop. Loved it but couldn't use it because I needed MS Office 2010 which I own a genuine copy of.

For those who do not require Windows specific programs, I believe Linux distros such as Ubuntu (OK, the latest version and beyond will be shipped with Unity, not GNOME, so not sure how good it'll be) and PCLinuxOS would be the best for everyone. :)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
You don't *need* a mac to develop for iPhone, but the experience is far superior - developing for iPhone on windows or linux really isn't much fun at all.

I use a Mac :)

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I love playing with Linux but I'm stuck on Windows because of two things:
- Microsoft Office which LibreOffice is not yet fully compatible with. MS Office is almost a must for my study and work.
- Games which have no Linux versions.

And the third:
- My laptop came with genuine Windows 7.

I do have PCLOS 2010 installed on my desktop. Loved it but couldn't use it because I needed MS Office 2010 which I own a genuine copy of.

For those who do not require Windows specific programs, I believe Linux distros such as Ubuntu (OK, the latest version and beyond will be shipped with Unity, not GNOME, so not sure how good it'll be) and PCLinuxOS would be the best for everyone. :)

You could try partitioning your hard drive, so that you have the best of both worlds on one machine ;)