Windows or Linux?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters

palmerx6414

Reaction score
Linux is not as comfortable as Windows... User interface, application compatibility etc. in windows is better than Linux..... I personally like Windows.. it does'nt mean that linux is not good, it depends on what context you are considering.....

That's subjective and untrue. Only major applications like Photoshop or Windows Media Player are incompatible with Linux because they're specifically made for Windows and/or Mac. However, there are alternatives. Thus, http://alternativeto.net/\
And the interface in any given Linux distro can be changed. Example: some don't like the new Ubuntu GUI/desktop environment, so you can replace it. Same with anyone else with any other Linux distro if they happen to prefer a different desktop environment

P.S. If a system absolutely needs to specifically have Photoshop or something like that, that's when you dual boot- that's what I did with my system for a graphic design class. ;)

Linux is still general more compatible with your hardware (depending) and allows your Linux OS to sit side-by-side with your MS or Mac OS and typically has better support for hardware.
I had to go through a ton of crap , just to get a compatible audio driver on my laptop... Almost any given Linux distro I had on disk had support for it (I tried the Live CD for 3 different distros and all of them had better support). Plus Linux is FREE, uses less resources and is more lightweight, and, as mentioned, generally has better hardware/driver support. Just a few of the reasons people prefer Linux. ;)

So it's hard to say that Windows is just better than Linux OS just because it has more market share, which really only happened because Microsoft was standing with a corporate giant (IBM) when they started out.

Last edited:

winux.info44

Reaction score
Windows convirte los equipos en planchas para ropa; en todo caso, React OS... Además, GNU/Linux no procede directamente de la anarquía, pero la realidad es que la WWW se ha difundido y convertido en un proyecto sustentable y accesible gracias a GNU/Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc. y como escritorio, es de primer nivel... Quienes necesiten correr aplicaciones de Windows sobre Linux, chequen el proyecto http://www.winehq.org/

Con respecto al tema de Apple, es un hardware muy costoso y tampoco tiende a liberar al usuario; las aplicaciones son buenas pero con paciencia pueden correr también sobre linux como en el caso de MAYA: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya_2012_frequently_asked_questions_us.pdf

Para quienes han madurado en esto de la tecnología de información, considro que deberían reconocer que linux, hoy en día, es la herramienta multipropósito por excelencia... Si tienes windows, instala ubuntu en una partición de 20GB, consíguete un disco duro portátil para respaldar tu trabajo y adminístralo desde ubuntu y olvídate de problemas como virus y otras amenazas... ¡voto por GNU/linux! ...no nada más como mejor opción sino como herramienta de alto rendimiento, indispensable para todo aquel cuyo trabajo depende de la seguridad de sus archivos : )

jrfweb27

Reaction score
Actually the fight between Windows and Linux goes away and we only have to gain from it.While Windows is still most of the market, Linux is slowly gaining ground, and if not for the need to use OS Windows with certain programs and it would have abandoned long ago.

rolandr

Reaction score
Maybe I"m just paranoid since my last laptop overheated. I think my Ubuntu Linux triggers off the cooling fan more often than Windows. I now using a laptop USB port cooling fan.

But bottom line, I'm a cheapskate and use Linux since most of the Apps are free. Heh, heh, ....

Gosh, what if I was doing animation or video editing, or recording music? Hate latency problems! Apple!!!! don't have one, can't afford one.

Last edited:

palmerx6414

Reaction score
I keep reading and seeing the same recurring statements- with users saying that Linux is only good for server/hosting based usage... We are not talking about Unix. Any OS can host a server, and Unix based systems generally are durable servers, that doesn't mean it has no other usage.

Linux is great for many things.
I will, however, use Windows for gaming, something that Unix based systems are definitely not known for. :p

Darkmere

Reaction score
It is on Preference .... I have both Windows and LINUX. In 10 years with windows I have had about roughly 3 to 5 problems with windows. In the same amount of time I have had the same amount of problems with LINUX. So I figure just pick one you are more comfortable with and go with that. Then I do believe it would based on your level of computer knowledge. Microsoft support will usually pick up without you ever being on hold and help you within 5 to 10 mins depending on the difficulty of the problem. LINUX you have to go to a Forum and deal with hostile people to get an answer which in turn is technical and not made for a layman. Which for a person not computer savy can make them frustrated and give up. I know this one because I installed LINUX on a lot of computers just to have to go back and install windows because the customers got frustrated with os, not knowing how to use it or running into problems they could resolve

ivan.dreamer14

Reaction score
BOTH Windows and Linux

Since most people are using Windows, it makes it safer to use Linux, which is a good thing.

j3rky_0n398

Reaction score
LINUX... we do have wine for windows appz... please do try it... now with gnome 3.0 so cool. ;-)

wongers

Reaction score
Linux is far superior to Windows, it is better for performance, every aspect of it is FREE. i mean, who wants to pay £100 for Windows, £100 for office when i could get it all for £0? i know which option i'd choose!

yes, because it is free there is less support from a Technical Service Desk, also note that Microsofts is possibley the 3rd worse call centre ive ever spoken to and ive worked in the industry for a few years now.

but the best way to find answers in life (for all things) is to Google it!!

use Wine for applications that arent supported, there are few things that really require a Windows OS. open your mind, man!!

warid17

Reaction score
i like linux, Linux is 100000 times better then Windows.
i am using ubuntu at this time.
can anybody send me download kink for red hat please????

wongers

Reaction score
red hat isnt free anymore. so unless someone has an old distro are naughty-version then good luck with that one