Windows services broken

as4s1n

Reaction score
I downloaded a game from a supposedly reputable source and I found several problems with my computer afterwards. Several services aren't working properly, I don't know how many aren't working but a few that I do know are:

Wireless/wire adapter,
sound
and probably most importantly, system restore.

I was wondering if there was any way to repair these systems. I wish I could system restore but that seems to be the one hurdle preventing me from fixing this.

If it matters, the error I get from system restore is: "Volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error."

Is there any way to fix this short of a reinstall from the CD?

as4s1n

Reaction score
Sorry, it's windows 7. I already looked through Dial-a-fix, is there a similar program for W7?

steronius

Reaction score
no known dial-a-fix for vista or 7.

your boot cd may allow some sort of repair.

also, you might have to try to start services manually and watch the logs and dependencies to hack out your solution.

you may even have to re-register some dll's using regsvr32.

sorry i can't help any more than that.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I would personally run a Malware scan with a program such as Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware. Sounds like you may have gotten something if services are all of a sudden breaking. System Restore is what is making me lean that way, as that should be one of the last things to break under normal circumstances.

as4s1n

Reaction score
Yea, I scanned when I realized something was wrong and removed it. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done.

Last edited: