Windows vista

zelda4evr

Reaction score
i currently have windows vista on a very nice pc, it runs very well and it doesn't have the compatibility issues people say it has, you can run programs that don't work in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2. some people are saying these errors will go away when a service pack becomes available to windows vista. what are your thoughts on windows vista? can you compare vista to xp or any other os. currently my hdd is divided and i have 2 os's, one is windows vista and the other is linux ubuntu, i installed ubuntu because vista crashed and it took me 3 days to fix it.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I like what you have got. But Windows Vista is more for users with a large budget. Just to install Vista, a user has to upgrade his system. And if he is a serious gamer, then a single video card won't be enough. And as for laptop users, Vista eats batteries for breakfast.

zelda4evr

Reaction score
thx, and i bought this computer with vista installed, the only bad thing is, is that the gfx card is really old and i need a new one. haha i didn't know that, must use a lot of resources.

JustBringIt

Reaction score
My system runs just fine with Vista home premium installed. been using Vista since RC1 came out and have yet to have any problems and my puter is far from high end.
specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
ATI x800xl gfx
2gig DDR2 ram-250g hd for VISTA home premium
Antec 900 atx ultimate gamer case

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I have Vista and it works fine most of the time.

Ever now and then it doesn't boot, and I have to go into safe mode and disable some startup stuff till I find the faulty one (Most of the time it's the sidebar)

And then sometimes it starts to use all the system resources it can get to.

But other than that I like it. Of course I have 2 partions (I made the first one to small) that have xp on it.

If you only have 1gb of ram, I can understand why it doesn't work well.
My computer is just as fast as it was in xp.

Sohail

Reaction score
I don't like Windows Vista, it takes up too much RAM. :( I prefer to use Mac, there's never any viruses or errors, and iv'e been relying on it for 5 years and it has never failed me ;).

casnet

Reaction score
I run vista on my laptop. It eats batteries and is quite resource intensive. I have 1gb ram and it runs slower than my xp with 512mb. Also had problems with compatibility when trying to run 3g software. Apart from that it runs pretty well. Oh and it still has the traditional blue screen of death when things go wrong

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
Yup, I have Vista [Basic] on this laptop. It doesn't seem that it goes as slow as my 4 year old desktop, but it does eat up battery faster than an ant can get to some leftover halloween candy.

satbir

Reaction score
Though I have not tried Vista myself but people say it is resource intensive and you need high end PC to get benefit out it. Having said that many endorsed it positively.

So it is matter of time that we all have anyway to go for it..

No choice :(

zelda4evr

Reaction score
vista is amazing on a fast pc, it has much more features, but not nearly as many as linux(omg i was just on linux, its amazing, too bad all my stuff is on windows)

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I saw this topic and felt I had to post ;)

In my opinion, Windows Vista is the worst release of Windows yet. I run Ultimate on my computer (home built, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 160GB Slave, 2 48x DVD-ROM Drives), and dislike most of it. I won't whinge, but I'll sum up the pros and cons.

Pros:
> looks nice
> DX10 is pretty good
> nice search feature
> Media Centre

Cons:
> eats 4GB RAM when running DX9 game
> pulverises the HD because of fragmentation
> takes 4 1/2 minutes to boot
> highly insecure
> Windows Mail sucks, have to use Outlook 2007 becuase my GMail account isn't 'compatible'.

I could go on, but put simply I think XP Media Centre edition is better.

Cloudy

Reaction score
I'm still using XP at home (although I have a dual boot with Ubuntu). I don't really have a fast enough computer to go on to Vista yet, although I don't really want to anyway...

sangeeta

Reaction score
when everything is going fine with XP why MS roll out Vista may be its a step forward but for some like me frequent update is costly ffair and hope others too agree !