Windows xp sp3 won't load

smattster

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to these threads but I've had a similar problem before and a mate of mine told me about 2 commands on the XP CD. They saved my ass big time!!!

They're called something like FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. The first one rewrites the master boot record and the second rewrites the boot sector of the hard disk. Neither of which will wipe any of your files from the hard disk but between them they may get your PC up and running again. It worked for me!

Good luck

Smattster

steronius

Reaction score
yeah but the pc boots, that's not the issue, it's the BSOD.

if yo can get a command prompt (safe mode with command prompt OR boot cd to console)
you could try the "SFC /SCANNOW" command, but if it does fox the problem, then you will running and re-running windows updates again.

if you just cant repair it, as smith6612 suggests, linux boot, save files, re-install from scratch... yeah it's a mega pain, but then you have a clean system.

have you tried re-seating your memory?

Last edited:

fllrfth

Reaction score
I just wanted to take this opportunity to Thank all of you for your suggestions and recommendations, although I decided to take the Laptop to a Tech for an hands on fix and decided to have them install a new operating system (Win 7) all together, the volley between all of you and I serves as an great source of information not only for those with the same or similar problem but those with ideas and solutions as well.

Peace.

paulweb

Reaction score
I recommend you that you backup all you files first.You can use Linux distribution like knoppix .

Yeah!:

1-Enter safe mode
2-backup all your stuff to usb stick
3- Install and run ccleaner clean all and repair all
(here you must disable all programs except antivirus in startup section)
4- When done go msconfig (start->run..) and also disable all from startup except antivirus.
Check processes section, check non-windows processes and disable all.
5- You may load a safe-xp reg file I recommend use this one:
"Safe XP Pro SP3 Start v3.01.zip"
You find this here: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/registry.htm

6-After restart optimize your system (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm)

Good Luck!

lhyman

Reaction score
A few suggestions:

1) OS won't load and you get a black screen, try to make sure you have nothing plugged into any of your usb ports

2) Blue Screen of Death and a fast reboot, two things that I know of that can cause this: hardware failure or you just installed something that has changed a windows system files or a driver... you could try booting of your OS CD and trying a REPAIR install, if that works, you might have to reinstall all your other software too...

3) The best solution, stick your hard drive in another computer as a slave drive and backup all your data, then format it, put it back in your system and do a new OS install

well these are the only things that come to my mind.....

PS: If you have less than 25 gigs of data, did you know that Microsoft live gives you a 25 gig sky drive (every live account has this) so next time back up your important files to your sky drive (this is what I do) this way when I have a serious computer problem and I can't fix it after a while, I just say, F- it, format the drive and re-install windows..

works for me every time !

krofunk

Reaction score
From experience I would point the finger at hardware, when I upgraded to vista everything was fine until windows update "updated" the driver for my ATI graphics card...basically I had the same problem, you fire up the machine and POW a bsod and a restart. I also could get into safe mode and check the device manager, a big yellow sticker over the graphics card "Good Job M$ Update!"

anyway check if you have any flags showing in device manager..your problems could be down to a bad driver!