Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I use 7-zip. It's free.

sandogg

Reaction score
7-zip here too.
Supports loads of archives and free.
Although not as powerful as others its very lightweight.

nakg0d

Reaction score
definitely winrar.. have been using it for the longest because of the format support and features

dwd2000

Reaction score
I have something called Freezip. It adds zip functions when you right click something. You can view the zipped contents without opening the file, test the zip, pick a folder to unzip to, unzip in current folder...all while just right clicking the zip file. Right clicking other files or folders give you the option of zipping them. I've been using it for years...and yes, it's free. Note: there are 2 freezip programs out there. The one I use has a yellow "F" and "Z" with a blue border as it's icon.

zeekgenateer

Reaction score
WinRAR, if anyone's noticed it is free. I've had it for years without having to pay; you just keep clicking the x in the box that pops up after the trial. It supports most formats, and is user friendly.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
WinRAR, if anyone's noticed it is free. I've had it for years without having to pay; you just keep clicking the x in the box that pops up after the trial. It supports most formats, and is user friendly.
"Please note that WinRAR is not free software. After a 40 day trial period you must either buy a license or remove it from your computer."

There are ways to reset or have an unlimited trial period in lots of trial programs, but just because you can still use it after the trial period is up doesn't mean it's free. Why would you keep a program with an annoying nag screen like that, anyway, when you could get a completely free alternative like 7-zip?

mlsoft

Reaction score
WinRAR all the way, it supports a lot more than WinZIP, and can compress/uncompress pretty quick.

Nick2007

Reaction score
WinRAR, simply because it's easy to use and has a big variety of formats to extract.

cyreg

Reaction score
Winrar is better. It works faster and the .rar archives with the same data are usually smaller.

Mitch

Reaction score
WinRAR, because it has more archive types then winzip and you can put a password on your rar files.

Sohail

Reaction score
I can't use either since i have a Mac, i do use Stuffit Expander though, it can decompress zips and rars automatically, it comes wih every Mac and has never let me down. :)

naresh

Reaction score
no doubt Winrar because it can handle variety of formats

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
I'd go for 7-zip, but before I had winrar. That popup gets old after awhile. *shakes fists*

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
I have 7zip, this is one the best extractor. I do not think winrar or winzip is good at all because both separate themselves from each other till they are so unstable and the compression and decompression may cause a corruptions.

7zip is different not only does it support extraction iso, rar, zip , and others its 7z format is one of the best and most stable. LZMA 7zip normally used in installers like msi, .exe where they compress their data with 7zip why because it is the best compression method fast to decompression and compress. enable you to use encryption AES to protect, easy to understand command line to allow you to extract data without user intervention.

So overall 7zip still the best, its free and good.

FalseHope

Reaction score
Winrar.. nothing else really to say, everyone else has already said what can be said :)