Wireless Connection Help

the_site

Reaction score
Hello, I usually go over a friend's house to try to get on his Wireless Connection.
He has a Secured-Enabled Network(WPA2) Connection.
I only get far as Aquiring Network Address and no futher. I beleive my wireless driver is up to date. I am not sure If I can connect to WPA/WPA2, if so, how can I be compatible connecting to WPA/WPA2. Wish you guys can help.

Info:
-I have a Dell Inspirion 2200 Laptop
-Service Pack 3
-Windows XP

Wireless:
-Dell Wireless 1470 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Device Type: Network Adapter
Manufacture: Broadcom

Hope you guys can share som info to help me.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, I usually go over a friend's house to try to get on his Wireless Connection.
Is this a new problem or have you been able to connect to wireless at your friends house previously?
Are you able to connect to wireless at other locations?

Carl
43 61 72 6c

michman

Banned
Reaction score
Did you only try WPA2 or did you also try WPA?
There is hardly a big difference in the level of security between those two and WPA might work if you get lucky.

I remember having similar problems a while ago when I tried to set the security to WPA2, try WPA if you haven't already :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Is your friend using WPA-AES or WPA2-AES by any chance? I've come across issues with many routers and how AES encrption works. It works fine here on WPA2-AES since I've gotten things set up nicely and I'm also not using Pre-Shared Key (my Linux router handles the authentication of clients), but other routers I've noticed will kick devices off after a few days or will not let any new devices on, even if they key is correct. The only way to really fix it is to reboot the router, save something in the admin interface, or to switch the encryption to TKIP (which is less secure and can be cracked, but is still secure enough).

Last edited:

the_site

Reaction score
Thanks I checked and made sure it was AES, Then I just turned off my laptop and reconnected the router and got connected. I think something was interfering, but it works like a champ.