Wireless network question

xPlozion

Reaction score
OK, so I'm pretty good at computers, and I use wireless network, but I've got one problem, and I don't know what phrase to search for in Google.

I've got 2 routers, both with a wireless antenna. Only one of them is running though as of now. My second router (Netgear WGR614) is offline for a few weeks now, but now I'm thinking of making it a wireless bridge (if that's the correct term).

This is what I want to do:
Have the main router send out a wireless signal. The second router (Netgear) will capture this signal, and then allow the wired ports to work off of it.

Why I want to do this is because we've got a new blu-ray player that requires an Ethernet connection to get new features on movies (and firmware updates). I would also like the option of playing XBOX Live if I decide to bring it out, or hook-up a computer w/out running new lines directly from the main router/switch in the basement upstairs.

If you know how to do this, or have a proper search term for Google or a link to a device that will perform this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

vol7ron

Reaction score
a wireless bridge is the correct term for a computer/device that is receiving more than one datastream. that is, if you have two wireless receivers connected to your computer, or a wire and a wireless device, it's a way to bridge the connection between them.

what you want is as xPlozion suggested, to turn your second AP into a repeater.

xPlozion

Reaction score
but doesnt a repeater just extend the wireless signal or can you make it convert a wireless signal into a wired connection (which i want to do)?