Wondering Something

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
How do you host a website? Is there a way, if I wanted to, to host websites of my computer? And where does bandwith come from?

N

Nathan

Use a balanced LAMP setup with Red Hat or Fedora (L - Linux) the latest Apache (A), MySQL (M) and PHP (P) (LAMP)

Bandwith, if you're hosting it on your computer, comes from your connection.

Edit: Forgot some:

LAMP. (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.)
MARS. (MySQL, Apache, Rails, Solaris.)
PAID. (PostgreSQL, Apache, Internet, Django)

Edit: And here's how to set up LAMP with CentOS: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.3

I'll find you some more links...

Edit: Found you my favorite http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/12/1824235

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Banned
Reaction score
you will need at least a T1 connection, as something like DSL or slower is not quick enough.
Plus ISP's will fine u if they find out, you need to have agreed to the TOS.

Hope this helps

N

Nathan

James said:
you will need at least a T1 connection, as something like DSL or slower is not quick enough.
Plus ISP's will fine u if they find out, you need to have agreed to the TOS.

Hope this helps

DSL is plenty fast enough if you open up port 80 and have 30kb/s or higher upstream since HTTP generally uses 4-7kb/s when viewing a document.

Also, it's according to who the ISP is. My ISP says it's fine, you'll have to check with them.

Them being yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I have DSL with Bellsouth. But can you tell me a bit more? Like must you need apache, etc. Because my dad has a server computer, thats just laying there, gathering dust, and I want to put it to good use.

Sorry, didnt see your post under mine, Dewayne.

EDIT2: How about if the server computer is a Windows? Would it be WAMP?

Last edited:

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Depends on what version of Windows it has running on it.

There are versions of Apache, MySQL and PHP which run on Windows, albeit unoptimized. If you are planning on running a full site with many visitors then I wouldn't recommend trying to host it yourself. Remeber, when someone is viewing your site, your internet connection will be slowed.

If your dad's machine is kinda old, you may want to look into making it a LAN file server instead. That way, you'll still get to use it, but you'll be the only one and it'll save your internet connection. I have a file server running on my network running Ubuntu which I use to backup important documents from my 3 other computers.

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I see, no, it was purchased a two months ago. Let me ask a question, I have 100 MB DSL, right, so, if 1 visitor uses 1 MB, and there are 101 visitors, what will happen?

cokacola650

Reaction score
i used my windows XP pro laptop w/ apache, php, and mysql to host a website. also set up an ftp server just to mess around with. i learned a lot from it and if i get bored might set it up again.....who knows.

cokacola650

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I also have a Windows XP Pro, but let me ask a question, if i wanted to host my own website, right? Is there any money?

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
not usually required, also i have bellsouth (thought i would put that out there) i would suggest wamp, currently that s my server for testing stuff

foggysmoke

Reaction score
PSP-Heaven said:
I see, no, it was purchased a two months ago. Let me ask a question, I have 100 MB DSL, right, so, if 1 visitor uses 1 MB, and there are 101 visitors, what will happen?
If the needed bandwidth exceeds the amount of bandwidth available, the loading will stall for the users, but as one connection doesn't continuously use bandwidth, a spot will open pretty quickly. This is assuming you have a computer fast enough to handle 100 simultaneous users, which takes a somewhat fast computer, especially if the pages are not static (server side programming, like php or cgi)

I also have a Windows XP Pro, but let me ask a question, if i wanted to host my own website, right? Is there any money?
It depends what you want to do. For a simple setup, it shouldn't cost you anything, assuming you have a sufficient internet connection, because there are open source software solutions that cover almost every facet of hosting. But if you want to be serious about it, that’s when the money starts floating away in the form of new hardware, domains, a bigger pipe to the internet, etc.

In conclusion, for a novice I would recommend managed, offsite hosting for any site you want the public to see. You can still set up a server on your computer for educational, experimental, private, or semi-private functions.