Wordpress 3.6 Will Not Install Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

bberryx1

Reaction score
Hey,
I've been enjoying x10's free hosting services for a few months now. I am using Wordpress to help manage my site, and it has worked excellently until recently. I went to install the update to Wordpress 3.6 expecting everything to update smoothly as ever. Unfortunately I get this screen shot (See uploaded image entitled "Wordpress Update Fail")

How do I fix this?
I had always been able to update Wordpress successfully in the past whenever I needed to.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Wordpress Update Fail.jpg
    Wordpress Update Fail.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 5

bberryx1

Reaction score
Still trying to track down that .maintainence file. Any idea what directory that would be in?

usama_rasab27

Reaction score
To see dot files, when you click File Manager in CPanelX 3, make sure to check: "Show hidden files (dotfiles.)"

Screenshot (381).png

A .maintenance file is a file that tells your visitors that your site is in maintenance. It is located at the root directory of your WordPress folder.

A .maintenance file is automatically generated by WordPress if you are updating WordPress to newer versions/ updating themes or plugins/ installing addons by dashboard etc.

So, it wont always be there. Click Here to find out how to create a .maintenance file.

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Hi, please try your automatic update again. The issue is that WordPress is using the path /tmp/wordpress-3.tmp for a temporary file, for every upgrade by all users' WordPress installations on the system. Guess what happens here when our security policies disallow users from accessing files they do not own?

I've made some system changes that should help mitigate this issue. If you experience this problem, wait 2-3 minutes and then try again. If you receive this error more than three times 2-3 minutes apart and it continues, please let me know here.

Also, I believe that manual WordPress updates do not exhibit this problem.

If anyone knows how to update the temporary path that WordPress uses for the wordpress-3.tmp file please let us know! Changing this to /home/USER/tmp/ would solve this problem indefinitely per WordPress installation.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Hi, I have another update about this.

I found an update on our forums by ampersx1 from June that describes how to change the temporary path for WordPress.

If you receive this error, add the following to the very bottom of your WordPress installation's /wp-config.php file:

PHP:
define('WP_TEMP_DIR', ABSPATH .'wp-content/uploads/');

Thanks for this, ampersx1!

Hi All,

I was having the same issue, but I found if you add in the following line to your wp-config.php file it works:

Code:
define('WP_TEMP_DIR', ABSPATH .'wp-content/uploads/');

I've placed this line just under where ABSPATH is defined in wp-config.php here (about the second line from the bottom of the file:

Code:
/** Absolute path to the WordPress directory. */

if ( !defined('ABSPATH') )

define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');
I should give credit to this page for this tip: http://remy.supertext.ch/2011/07/download-failed-could-not-open-handle-for-fopen/

bberryx1

Reaction score
Whatever the issue was, it randomly fixed itself when I tried to do an automatic update this morning. Thanks for your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.