wordpress and add-on domain

slight

Reaction score
I created a new wordpress site on an add on domain. Something like george.x10hosting.com/wordpress
Then I registered a new domain, like www.ilovecake.com (not the real site).
When users go to www.ilovecake.com they get my wordpress home page as expected. Yay.
However, as they navigate around the site the URL reverts to george.x10hosting.com/wordpress

How can/should this be fixed?

Thanks for your help.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you set the domain in the Wordpress settings. It is possible that Wordpress still thinks you are on the old domain and is creating links for the old domain.

slight

Reaction score
I tried that, and all hell broke loose. First, I got locked out of my wordpress admin panel. Second, while the home page continued to load fine, the links to all the child pages broke. Sigh. I had to go back to the MySQL database a manually revert the URLs. That put me back where I was.

How is this supposed to be done? Surely having a wordpress page on an add-on domain must be a pretty common thing. Any and all help much appreciated!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"It's not a bug, it's a feature." No, it's a bug, even if it's designed in. Consider, if you will, the case of a Wordpress install on a machine that is accessible via both internal (network-specific) and world-facing (internet) URLs. Most orgs with anything like a security bent deliberately prohibit internal access via the external address. There are companies, as well, who have several brands under an umbrella. WP should not be coercing domain changes in the browser under any circumstances -- failing to make URLs relative to the active user access path is just plain poor programming.

slight

Reaction score
Almost there... but not quite.

I tried leaving the site URL as it was, and updating the Blog URL to the new domain path.
That worked EXCEPT for two problems:

1. Now I have persistent messages from Wordpress on my settings panel as follows:
Warning: is_writable() [function.is-writable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/:/tmp) in /home/slight/public_html/wordpress/wp-admin/options-permalink.php on line 113

Warning: is_writable() [function.is-writable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/:/tmp) in /home/slight/public_html/wordpress/wp-admin/includes/misc.php on line 130

2. I am only able to to use the default permalink format. If I attempt to switch to any of the other formats the pages stop loading. Various ramblings on the internet led me to expect this would be resolved by carefully backing up my .htaccess file, but I found the before and after versions of that file to be identical.

Those are the only issues I have noticed, but perhaps there are more lurking.

I would like to get rid of the warning and be able to use a non-default format for permalinks.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
***Moved to Scripts & 3rd party apps***

imoded

Reaction score
i think, your last option is to install wordpress in your new domain www.ilovecake.com.
then you could post all your blogs from the other domain or just copy certain table from the database of your old wordpress to new installed one.

slight

Reaction score
Hi Imoded, Perhaps i wasn;t clear. But the aren;t two server... just one server. The files aren't moving anywhere! I simply want to map a domain name to an existing online path.

The name server does the mapping as usual. So that part works. There no need for files to move to another server.
What's getting messed up are the permalinks and the is_writable() failures above. I have no idea why or what to do about it.