Wordpress Blog suggestion

simonthecat

Reaction score
I just switched from FTP blogger to wordpress. While I am really impressed with wordpress my site seems to load a bit slow when I click a link on the sidebar what are you guys opinion, is too slow? And any ideas on what could make it faster. Going back to blogger is not an option since they will be cutting support for FTP blogging soon. Thanks for the comments.

http://huntingpa.info/

monkeymhz

Reaction score
Side bar clicking worked pretty snappy for me. Site looks pretty nice.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Your Website is not loading at the moment... So I can`t view it :S

shdus1

Reaction score
Two ideas:
1. Gzip the blog (there are many plugins for Wordpress that do it, just search Gzip or compress)
2. Cache the data on the serverside. There are many plugins that do it, just search cache.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I just switched from FTP blogger to wordpress. While I am really impressed with wordpress my site seems to load a bit slow when I click a link on the sidebar what are you guys opinion, is too slow? And any ideas on what could make it faster. Going back to blogger is not an option since they will be cutting support for FTP blogging soon. Thanks for the comments.

http://huntingpa.info/

very nice. Especially I like the header, the menu and the side blocks, Can you make the articles too in a block that looks good

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a really well designed website. I agree with gsonline, trying adding the articles in the block.

In addition, I'm not sure if its necessary to have two navigation menus both with the same links. I recommend changing one menu to a category based menu. Most WP Sites I've seen with dual menus use one for pages and one for categories.

Two ideas:
1. Gzip the blog (there are many plugins for Wordpress that do it, just search Gzip or compress)
2. Cache the data on the serverside. There are many plugins that do it, just search cache.

Good luck!

While its true loading speeds would be significantly improved, caching plugins and I'm quite sure Gzip as well, will not work well with free hosting without getting suspended for high resource usage because of the amount of server side CPU it requires to generate files.

Try removing unnecessary PHP coding and convert them to HTML manually. For example, in your header.php, there are lines which dynamically add your feed URL so it will work when the theme distributes, but since you're using the theme on your site, you can modify them. Here's a brief guide I wrote on speeding up Wordpress: http://www.techairlines.com/limit-unnecessary-php-queries-to-speed-up-wordpress/

In addition, try optimizing the database in phpMyAdmin by checking all tables with overhead and choosing Optimize Table.

supajason

Reaction score
First off the site looks great! So nice job :)

You have 10 posts loading on the index page - is there a reasons? could this be cut down to 5, 8? This would improve speed
Your posts have alot of content, you could reduce the size that is displayed on the index page down to 500 characters. Then add a link "Read more" or "Read the rest of this post"
Disable any unused plugins
Optimize the theme - like techairlines said
Here is a nice plugin to speed things up

simonthecat

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the good ideas.

Code:
.postContent {
	color:#555;
        background:url(./images/inputText.png);
        background-repeat:repeat-y;
        padding:8px 15px 0 15px;
	font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
	font-size:12px;
	line-height:20px;
	margin:20px 15px;
	overflow:hidden;
I never really used CSS very much before, but putting the background image for the comment box in here seemed to work for giving posts a background. But I do get a line every so often when the image repeats. Do you think the line is the result of the code or do you think it is the in the image I am using?

In addition, I'm not sure if its necessary to have two navigation menus both with the same links. I recommend changing one menu to a category based menu. Most WP Sites I've seen with dual menus use one for pages and one for categories.
I am not quite sure what you mean. I have recent posts, by tag, categories, and archives. Which of these have the same link?