WordPress Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenzoar

Reaction score
Hello

I am quite new to X10Hosting and am struggling to make my way around the contorl panel and so would appreciate it if anybody would be able to tell me whether x10 hosting comes with fantastico or any thing of that sort that would make installing wordpress a less annoying task. I would also like to know whether i will need to set up a database for wordpresss myself or if x10hosting will have laready set one up for me.

thank you

Avenzoar

Reaction score
If you login to your cpanel: http://avenzoar.elementfx.com:2082

Find Fantastico > Word Press and you fill in the boxes on that page and it will install itself.

Thank you very much

I actually ended up going through the rather laborious process of manual installation as I could not locate fantastico. ah well. but an issue i am having at the moment is that i find myself unable to delete the default welcome page and replace it with my wordpress blog.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks like you do not have your blog file named correctly. It should be "index.php" or "index.html" etc. Delete the current index file in the public_html folder and replace it with your file.

Reaction score
How did you go about that?

Did you do it via the File Manager or FTP?

All you need to do is navigate in either the file manager or by FTP to the public_html folder and delete the default index page. Wordpress' index page is a .php and I think the default to which you refer to is a .html - just delete that one.

Avenzoar

Reaction score
How did you go about that?

Did you do it via the File Manager or FTP?

All you need to do is navigate in either the file manager or by FTP to the public_html folder and delete the default index page. Wordpress' index page is a .php and I think the default to which you refer to is a .html - just delete that one.

I uploaded the zip WP file through the file manager to the public_html and then extracted it. I then edited the code in the WP installation section, then accessed the site to install WP using the 5-min installation. the problem now is that i am not familiar with the cPanel layout - completely different to my previous host, so i cant locate the default index page. the result is that, regardless of my blog publication, it cannot be viewed.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
if I understand you correctly, the default index page should be /home/{user name}/public_html/index.html and should be accessible through cpanel->files->file manager

Avenzoar

Reaction score
Martin-

I have now deleted the index page (.html), but, interestingly enough, the index page is still there when the website is externally viewed...i don't understand how that could be possible; it defies the very laws of website-making..when something is deleted, it is deleted and should no longer exist and yet it does!

The WP theme is installed as well complete with two posts, but none of that is visible whatsoever.
Edit:
if I understand you correctly, the default index page should be /home/{user name}/public_html/index.html and should be accessible through cpanel->files->file manager

Thanks garrettroyce,

yes, i have deleted it. but it is still there when the website is externally viewed, interestingly enough.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, can you list the files and folders currently listed in your public_html folder?

I think maybe wordpress file is in a sub folder and is not accessible from the www root directory.

Avenzoar

Reaction score
I do not understand the meaning of all of these files, but:

• _private
  • _vti_bin
  • several other files beginning with '_vti'
  • cgi-bin
  • images
  • wp-admin
  • wp-content
  • many other wp- files
  • index.php (i believe this is the one supplied by wordpress? the .html one has been deleted)
thank you very much, i really appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
yeah, you got the wp install right on.

it is up and running now. looks like xxl_martin_llxx got it right on.

Last edited:

Avenzoar

Reaction score
Success!

Yes you are right, it was just me and my extreme impatience!

Thank you very very much, garrettroyce and martin. I really appreciate your support and time. I wish you the best of luck with your sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.