WordPress Site + AdSense official plugin = failed with error code 404

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2d2x10m

Reaction score
I folks! I've my new website (R2D2) hosted here on x10hosting.com with the wordpress infrastructure.

I'm trying to use the Google AdSense Plugin, however when I save my settings for the ads over the page it returns the following error:

Unable to apply changes to your site.
Sorry we were unable to save your configuration. The request to your server failed with error code 404.

can be a setting of the hosting?

Anyone had an idea to solve the problem?

thanks you

kenny9

Reaction score
Before you name a website R2D2, you should check to be sure the term R2D2 is not covered by copyright. My guess would be that the "Starwars" conglomeration has this term under copyright. It would be a shame to go to a lot of work on a web site and have to remove it or get sued.

kenny9

Reaction score
Suspended could be the least of your worries if the "Star Wars" conglomeration came after you. It would be like starting a forum and calling it "The Mickey Mouse Club". Walt Disney Productions would be after you very quickly. Your use of the avatar would probably come under the "Doctrine of Fair Use" unless you tried to use it commercially.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
isn't 404 a mod_sec thing? mod security
mod_security settings will throw a 404 error if it sees a "leaky" response and a 403 error if it sees a "shady" request

you'll get either a 403, a 404 or an empty response instead, depending on the apparent severity

With mod_security in place, it's difficult to tell what's going on - You can try enabling error logging (temporarily) via the PHP settings in cPanel to give you a better clue, since just about anything that throws an error is going to return a 403 or a 404
###

you can receive a [ error 404 ] for other reasons (i.e. is no file with that name in that folder)

r2d2x10m

Reaction score
mod_security settings will throw a 404 error if it sees a "leaky" response and a 403 error if it sees a "shady" request

you'll get either a 403, a 404 or an empty response instead, depending on the apparent severity

With mod_security in place, it's difficult to tell what's going on - You can try enabling error logging (temporarily) via the PHP settings in cPanel to give you a better clue, since just about anything that throws an error is going to return a 403 or a 404
###

you can receive a [ error 404 ] for other reasons (i.e. is no file with that name in that folder)

I can disable from cPanel? where ?

after config the plugin I can recover the mod_security?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, you can't disable mod_security, but you can enable error reporting or logging.

Status
Not open for further replies.