working with backgrounds on web

lordsofvine

Reaction score
well first of all i'm a beginner class, i would like to ask any help from experts or anyone, i'm so confuse, how did they make thee background look great, the shadings, lightings, shadows and a lot more, i know few are using photoshop C2 or 3 or what ever, i mean how did they make it right, I'm really willing to learn so guys help me out and thanks a lot

port5900

Reaction score
just google photoshop tutorials.
there is nothing really to making a back ground.
just try to make some nice textures and you will figure it out from there.

CharlesW

Reaction score
This is rather basic, but make sure the text stands out against the background. Choose a contrasting color for the text. Also, less elaborate, lower contrast patterns will make it easier to read the text in front.
Edit:
If you're wondering about how to put the backgrounds on the page, you'll need to use some HTML. The HTML editor here doesn't have an option for background alteration, so you'll need to go into source code view and write it manually. It should be something like this:
<style "background-image: url: / (addressOfYourBackground.jpg)>
(The rest of your page.)
</style>
Someone doublecheck this, though. I don't have it memorized.
This is easier with cascading style sheets (.css files), but I reccommend you look up a tutorial for that.

Last edited:

Trigintillion

Reaction score
well first of all i'm a beginner class, i would like to ask any help from experts or anyone, i'm so confuse, how did they make thee background look great, the shadings, lightings, shadows and a lot more, i know few are using photoshop C2 or 3 or what ever, i mean how did they make it right, I'm really willing to learn so guys help me out and thanks a lot
Well, you can always try Paint.NET. There, I recommend you make a gradient (with the gradient tool) that flows from color X at the top to color Y at the bottom. Then save the gradient under, for example, the name "gradient.jpg".

Now put this code between your <head> tags:

<style type="text/css">
body {background: [color Y in hexadecimal] url(gradient.jpg) repeat-x;}
</style>

Ignore the brackets around the color.

So what this code does is repeat the gradient horizontally across the top of the entire page, and then colors in the rest the gradient's bottom color.

shadoh

Reaction score
gfxfreaks is good for learning too.

Best tip i can give you, is become friendly with your Burn and Smudge tools, as well as finding a good light source :)