WP-Mail-SMTP problem with Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsights

Reaction score
Last topic got closed:
http://x10hosting.com/forums/free-hosting/120189-outgoing-port-465-gmail-smtp-open.html

I'm basically having the same problem. I am also using the WP-Mail-SMTP plugin but am using it with an external Gmail account (i.e. I am not using a Gmail Apps with cPanel combo). I am getting the 110 error that says that it cannot connect to the SMTP server.

The mail function of the plugin works if I am not using SMTP but I would rather have it be using SMTP over the default PHP mail function. The plugin worked when I initially configured it but has mysteriously stopped working since around April 7th. I have not touched the settings since then but have been upgrading the plugin whenever there was an update.

dlukin

Reaction score
My guess is that they closed the port for "security reasons", even though they keep suggesting using Google as an alternative to their own server.

That or they blocked it during the move -- like they did PHP mail() -- and forgot to reopen it.

Either way, it would be nice if they gave an "official" answer.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
My guess is that they closed the port for "security reasons", even though they keep suggesting using Google as an alternative to their own server.

What we continue to suggest is the Google Apps with cPanel combo that ainsights said they aren't using. I'll post back here to see if a solution is found.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Something I forgot to add to the old thread is that the outgoing mail through GMail SMTP last worked on April 6th, which is a few days after the datacenter move, so the port was originally open on the new servers.

I'll continue to try to look for a solution and will post back here if I find one.

ainsights

Reaction score
What we continue to suggest is the Google Apps with cPanel combo that ainsights said they aren't using. I'll post back here to see if a solution is found.

The main reason that we're not using the Google Apps with cPanel combo is that the Gmail account was created beforehand and we would also like to maintain that e-mail in case we ever change hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.