WRC, F1 or NasCar Driver, which has more skill?

iholla

Reaction score
I am a motor head! I have been following all the major race events for half my life now. Ill tell you one thing though, nothing is as magical as when a WRC pro drifts a few feet away from you into a U-turn at a speed of 120km/h!

Of all extreme motor sports, WRC requires drivers of a far higher calibre than in F1 or NasCar.

That's my view, dare to venture?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I would have to say F1, as they need to be able to handle there cars going 150-200+ going through road courses, although I haven't seen many WRC races, so my opinion is based between F1 and NASCAR.

port5900

Reaction score
I'm going with WRC for the simple fact that the tracks are never the same. I mean these guys need navigators. Its not a once around like Nascar. In second spot i think is F1.

Last edited:

dwd2000

Reaction score
Each has its skill level, but they're not the same.
Rally racing - Race the clock and rarely near other cars.
F1 (open wheel) - Have greater downforce and can produce higher speeds. The cars are also more technically advanced than the others. I'm not fond of road courses, because it's usually a "follow the leader" event.
NASCAR (stock cars) - Have to deal with "bodychecking" as well as speed.
Note: The Daytona 500 is on this Sunday (February 17, 2008) For anyone who hasn't seen a NASCAR race, this is the one to see. This is also the first full year of the new cars. I dare all you open wheel, road course fans to watch it.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I would say F1 would require more skill. To control a light vehicle at such speed and at searing temperatures, it sure requires talent and a bit of bravery.

mygorillanet

Reaction score
Ill stand by the WRC boys. From the Race Of Champions results over time, the event has been dominated by WRC boys. ROC is where the 'who of who' in racing come together in one event and are given similar cars with which to compete. All champions all over the globe in any racing event take part in this yearly event.

All drivers are required to race in an F1 screamer, a WRC monster, Touring Car, Buggy etc. So, they all get to race with one anothers tools. What this does, is put the comparison down to driver skill only and not tool of trade.

The results alone, speak for themselves:

2007 - a colin mcrae tribute event
2006 - Mattias Ekstrom (DTM)
2005 - Sebastian Loeb (WRC)
2004 - Heikki Kovalainen (WRC)
2003 - Sebastien Loeb (WRC)
2002 - Marcus Gronholm (WRC)
2001 - Harri Rovanpera (WRC)
2000 - Tommi Mäkinen (WRC)

I must also add that WRC monsters are alot more sohisticated than the F1 carts:)) You have a fully stripped stock model, turned into a tar burning 4WD whose suspension is on steroids and the transmission is on LSD! Those things come with all 4 wheels able to rotate at different speeds and incline at different angles from one another. It too, is a multi-million dollar project. Not your everyday strip the car-put in bars-lets take a ride thingy.

The roads are never the same and are more often than not, narrow, bumpy and filled with treacherous turns. The average speeds are from 180 to 230 kph! How many of you think that is not fast on an open road full of turns and spectators? The winner beats the loser by micro-seconds now! Even in the early 80's the super-charged group B's like Audi Quatrol could accelerate from 0-100 on 3.5s. Today, that could beat the FERRARI ENZO-3.6s, MURCIELAGO-3.6s, PORSCHE 959, PORSCHE 911 GT1,PAGANI ZONDA C12S and there's 60 more super cars to go!

You tell me, a track that is built and well taken care of and used over and over each year so you get accustomed to the turns(F1) or a road that is always different and whose conditions are as is at the moment of the race, which requires a keener eye and faster reaction?

Do not even get me started on the NASCAR roundabouts!

Last edited:

port5900

Reaction score
Rally racing - Race the clock and rarely near other cars.
Very true they are not near other cars how ever they are next to cliffs, trees, bolders, people, poles, lions, tigers, bears Oh My! ok sorry i got carred away there. And WRC has no grip at the speed theres doing its just right out crazy to be doing those speeds on mud, ice, and snow.
P.S I'm trying to go to Canada for the F1 Canadian Grand Prix its going to be hot!!! And If I dont get to go its cause i'm going to end up in crappy Florida Boooooo!

iholla

Reaction score
Very true they are not near other cars how ever they are next to cliffs, trees, bolders, people, poles, lions, tigers, bears Oh My! ok sorry i got carred away there. And WRC has no grip at the speed theres doing its just right out crazy to be doing those speeds on mud, ice, and snow.

I am wit you port5900 . Gorilla you hit the point on the head too! I have set up a page 4 those who still do not get what WRC is about. The address;

http://iholla.exofire.net/wrc.php

The page carries a few photos of the legendary Safari Rally that used to take place in East Africa.

Put F1 against WRC? I dont think so. F1 is the polo of motor sport! A bunch of overly celebrated sportsmen. WRC RULES!!!

Xemnas

Reaction score
I have to agree that WRC requires a lot more skill. You have to know the car, partner and rally course inside-out or you're going to either plunge off a cliff or slam into a tree, and neither are particularly nice outcomes. In F1 you just have to get used to the car and have fast reflexes, and even if you screw up and slam into a wall it's unlikely you'll get yourself killed. NASCAR doesn't even need skill, you just spend a few hours driving around an oval. Big wow.

Chetz

Reaction score
An F1 driver needs to hit each apec perfectly, and brake and turn at the precise moment, whereas in WRC there's more leverage. Also, the F1 top way higher than any other car, and require skill just to get them off the line (as demonstrated by Richard Hammond lol).

Also, F1 drivers even loose tones of weight just from the G-Force around the corners. (Who needs gyms hey?)

Dutch

Reaction score
WRC for sure, with F1 a very close second.

I like NASCAR, but the required skill for asphalt oval racing in a tank just isn't comparable to that of an open-wheel circuit race.

Nightmare Demon

Reaction score
I would have to say WRC the tracks they race on are never the same if it rains/snows they carry on some of the roads the drive on they are inches away from death if you have not seen a WRC race you dont know what you are missing

iholla

Reaction score
An F1 driver needs to hit each apec perfectly, and brake and turn at the precise moment,

He he, that is sooo true, now increase the required perfection by a couple hundred degrees...and I give you WRC.

F1, is the same track done 65 times. You get used to each turn and curve after 5 laps. The remaining 60 laps is about nerve or just being able to repeat the previous manouvres exactly the same or better.

Do yourself a favour, watch a WRC race! WRC is so hard that you cannot even play and compete favourably in Colin Mcrae(the game) at a level of professional and think you can win let alone be the 5th in each race.

Its the kind of race where people cross the finish on 3 tyres!

WRC rocks!

ps: WRC funs, get your self a dvd copy titled "50 years of rallying" I promise you will watch it over and over. I have watched it 3 times so far. Plus, you get to learn alot of facts about the WRC. It features the days of Didier Auriol, Juha Kankunnen, Carlos Sainz e.t.c the glorious Audis, Toyotas, Nissans e.t.c

Last edited: