www wildcard for my address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasneo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have created an Addon domain called hamids-it.elaosta.com in add-on domains.

In my registrar I have pointed hamids-it.elaosta.com with an A record to the correct place (the IP address here at x10) and it all works fine.

However, I would like users to be able to access the page by prefixing it with a "www." also how would I go about this?

I'm new to all this domain stuff but I'm trying to learn what I can without bugging people.

Thanks.

aliasneo

Reaction score
I went in Simple DNS editor and found these:

Code:
localhost.hamids-it.elaosta.com.         A         127.0.0.1                                                                  mail.hamids-it.elaosta.com.         CNAME         hamids-it.elaosta.com        
www.hamids-it.elaosta.com.         CNAME         hamids-it.elaosta.com
ftp.hamids-it.elaosta.com.         CNAME         hamids-it.elaosta.com
However it still doesn't work. Am I doing it in the wrong place and shoul dI remove these first? They were setup automatically when I created the addon domain.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
I think you can use Wild cards in A record in your domain registrar account.I had used like that.

aliasneo

Reaction score
A record setup allows me to enter host and IP only. Can you please give an example since I don't quite follow. Thanks

Current setup is as follows:

domain is "elaosta.com"

I have an A name in registrar set as "hamids-it" with IP "69.175.120.10" (x10)

In cPanel here at x10 I have "hamids-it.elaosta.com set up as an addon domain.

and in Simple DNS in cPanel here at x10 I see the above mentioned CNAMES and A Records.

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
you have to create an A record or host record for the host name (ie. 'www') and point it at the IP address of the server .So tht it looks like www.example.com I have not used Go Daddy.So just try

Last edited:

aliasneo

Reaction score
Great. I added an A Record for "www.hamids-it" pointing to "69.175.120.10" at my registrar and an ANAME in cPanel "www.hamids-it.elaosta.com" to "69.175.120.10". Althoug hthe second one may have been automatic due to the record I created at registrar. Does it work like that?

Anyway, works fine now.

Is this the correct way to do it? Because I just assumed that 222 should be added automatically to all subdomains. I'm sure there must be another/better way.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Great. I added an A Record for "www.hamids-it" pointing to "69.175.120.10" at my registrar and an ANAME in cPanel "www.hamids-it.elaosta.com" to "69.175.120.10". Althoug hthe second one may have been automatic due to the record I created at registrar. Does it work like that?

Anyway, works fine now.

Is this the correct way to do it? Because I just assumed that 222 should be added automatically to all subdomains. I'm sure there must be another/better way.

If you point to x10's servers through an A record, the DNS entries shown in cPanel would not work as x10 is not the DNS server for the domain, so you can just ignore that in cPanel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.