x10 Premium comparison with other Premiums?

citechforum37

Reaction score
Hello,

To start with, I'm very happy with the service(free) x10hosting is providing.
Planning to move over to the premium service of x10.

But before that, could someone gimme a comparison b/w x10 Premium & other popular hosting services like Hostgator, Bluehost etc? I tried googling it, but couldnt find any...

I've heard a lot about Hostgator & their service. So I'm really confused about choosing a webhost for my College Website, Forum, Gallery, & Online Library Management System(all of them in one host).

Also, does x10 Premium give a money back guarantee like Hostgator gives?

(x10 Premium price maybe cheaper than Hostgator's. But for a college with ~800 students, 50-100$ extra wont matter. What matters most for me is Speed, Uptime, Features, Support in that order)

Also, my free account got suspended twice while trying to install mods for my SMF 2.0 forum. The reason given was "High CPU Usage".
Does this apply to Premium hosting as well? I mean imagine simultaneous access by many students at once, will that give me a problem in premium hosting?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldnt find anywhere else to post :D

Thank you.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
No it does not. For a big website I suggest you purchase a VPS. It's much more stable than a shared hosting account. http://x10vps.com You should not get suspended for running that forum on x10premium it should be just fine. About the money back guarantee you will have to wait for a response.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
For money back guarantee, this is from the FAQ at http://x10premium.com/faq.php

Do you offer a money back guarantee?

Due to abuse by "host hoppers" we no longer offer a money back guarantee. If you have any reservations about ordering or questions please feel free to contact us by any method listed on the support page.

But if in any given month, the server doesn't meet 99.9% uptime, you can get your money back for that month.

Last edited:

citechforum37

Reaction score
No it does not. For a big website I suggest you purchase a VPS. It's much more stable than a shared hosting account. http://x10vps.com You should not get suspended for running that forum on x10premium it should be just fine. About the money back guarantee you will have to wait for a response.
Thank you for the reply.

So are u telling me that Hosting account cannot handle all those sites together?(Website, Forum, Gallery(forget the Library Mgmt for now)).
How many people can access the sites simultaneously if I put all those in a Hosting Account(without being suspended), i.e., Max people at a time?
(Sorry if I seem to be a "noob" about this. This is my first large & official web project.)

And, what about the comparison I asked? Is it wrong to talk about other hosting services here?(I'm sorry if it is)

Last edited:

nandifamily

Reaction score
Premium accounts allow you to use more resources on the server. But the resources will still be shared. If you run a big website like what you are going to do could hurt other users.

If you use a VPS, you are in a container and none of your activities is going to slow down other users. So less problem of getting evicted.

Hoobrum

Reaction score
previously you had to go to dedicated so vps is less costly. also theres cloud hosting which is kinda very expensive but media temple has it for 20 but it's not that reliable from what I hear.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What you need depends on what you mean by "many students". With a few dozen, you'd be okay. A few hundred, though, and you're going to want to look at something bigger. Maybe much bigger. We have no indication of how big your school is, or how important the applications are going to be to your student community.

Application design can make a considerable difference in how many users a server can serve. Using a custom forum that emits the minimum HTML rather than using an all-singing, all-dancing off-the-shelf solution can as much as triple the number of users you can handle. Denormalizing data or using a document store (like CouchDB or MongoDB) instead of a relational database can minimize the database hit cost. Paring the number of HTTP requests made to your server per page (one stylesheet per media type, one minified JS file, CSS sprites rather than individual images), making sure that everything that can be cached will be cached, using thumbnails and limiting the number of images on gallery pages -- all of that makes a big difference, but it will only take you so far.

You'll probably find that there will be clock-predictable and calendar-predictable spikes in traffic. Your best bet would be to have a base service that can handle the high points of the day during the low points of the year, but have the ability to scale up in September and for a few weeks before midterms and finals. If you're not hosting on your own hardware on-site, then you may find that a cloud service like Rackspace or Carinet might be a better fit. (You might even want to take a look at the Google App Engine -- it's a bit of a different environment, but there's a free base rate with billable scaling at the bottom end, and a very reasonably priced "guaranteed instance" rate, again with billable automatic scaling when demand is high. "Scaling", in Google's case, means distributed application servers and distributed instances of your data store.)

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
What matters most for me is Speed, Uptime, Features, Support in that order

Speed is great, Uptime is 99.9% guaranteed, If I went through the features, we'd be here all day and the support is by the admins so if theres ANYTHING you need doing, they'll help. Also,
Derek said:
For a big website I suggest you purchase a VPS. It's much more stable than a shared hosting account. http://x10vps.com
I suggest following that information.