X10Hosting Country Block. Just remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydraios

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying since months to register an account with X10Hosting. I'm from Greece and the fact that Greece is blocked from X10 is getting on my nerves. This country blocking is SO STUPID, because by this way you block the legitimate users too. As a result, many countries are blocked without reason, because some brainless people create websites just to spam and share malware. You can achieve blocking their websites by creating a simple tool for reporting these websites. This way, if these websites get many reports, or a moderator reviews a report and figures out that this website is abusing the ToS, or is spammy/full of malware/viruses etc. IT GETS BLOCKED.
You know that X10Hosting.com is if not the most popular, one of the most popular FREE subdomain hosting sites and the best (PHP support/unlimited file storage-bandwidth/domain hosting etc) that exists. So why do you block SO MANY COUNTRIES???
Please think the things I suggested and if you implement them, fine. Otherwise just remove the so-fake slogan "free hosting for the masses".
Thanks for reading my post,
Theodore Diamantidis - diamaltho@gmail.com

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately the country blocks we have had to impose are required. In the future there is always the possibility that they will change.

skydraios

Reaction score
Also, it's like closing a café because a waiter is selling illegally chewing gums.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
While I understand your frustration it is not our job to police the world with regards to illegal activities on the internet. If your country refuses to take a stance against the illegal actions of its citizens we refuse to serve them. When your country starts respecting copyright laws and polices its users we will be happy to allow signups. Until that time we will continue to block signups from any high risk countries who have shown a trend of illegal activity.

While I appreciate your suggestion of some sort of tool and manual review it is not possible with the volume of signups we get. And if someone is reporting a phishing site, hacking site, spamming site, etc it is already too late, the damage has been done to our IPs reputation, etc. This is not something that will be changed in the near future.

do.marmor46

Prime Account
Reaction score
sorry corerry with great respect if the information i just been getting is correct , u are wrong in your statement ,
i heard u recently block t sweden well sweden take copyright very hard, if proof provided braking the copyright laws will depending on how serious result in jail time,so statement about blockt country refuse to take a stance is wrong , current method u punich all for what a few do
i dont know anyting about Greece as original poster from so can not comment on that country,
im sure usa got just as many abusers dont see u blocking your own country, all country's have abusers and good people, war against abusers is always a problem for any internet company specially a hosting company because of past experience i hate abusers with passion they destroy for all.

If majority abuse i can understand blocking the country a short time then try again , hopefully the abusers wont even try it when country reopened if it ever reopen. i don't know how long time u have blocks for

but a better suggestion or compromise might be to just block the country from new registrations and delete the people that abused ,
this i would understand and support but by using the blocking method u have now u blocking existing user that followed tos and take copyright laws serious whiteout any warning what so ever, that's not very nice and is wrong

i used to think x10 was a great host and that i finally found a host i can put all my sites on eventually, i still think u are great so dont take this the wrong way, u provide a good service and everything work t whiteout problem for the months i been here (until now)
i do not have anything that demand alot of resources , just a gaming support site, the files i think is somewhere around 100mb in total so noting much to speak about there either.

i used to love x10 because i could easy change or update the site when needed was even thinking about upgrading account in the future to get my main site here to, well that was before i knew my site can get turnd of whitout warning because other people abused, even if it does not apply to prem accounts, its morally wrong

if i been getting the wrong info on irc channel and my gaming site stopt working for some other reason and my country is not blockt that's all good , i do think its weird acount panel says all working fine if i was blocked,

but still think u should just block new from register when blocking a country, blocking existing accounts that follow tos is unfair and wrong

eitherway ty for providing this great service for does that can use it and if my account will continue to not work i guess its good bye and ty for this time i don't even have a public html folder anymore

Regards,
marmor
ps. sorry for bad eng/grammar half asleep and eng not my native lanuage

Last edited:

poh$ger

Reaction score
Do.marmor46 makes a good point, but even if you were to ban certain counties, I think at least the users of that country who already had accounts should be allowed to keep them. It's only fair that they be grandfathered.

And I respect that you mentioned to us that your English is hard to read. No worries, it's a tough language to learn.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We're not taking away accounts of people who already signed up.

For some reason people think we're punishing everyone in these countries for the actions of a few, unfortunately that is not the case. If your country is blocked it means over 70% of the signups coming from it resulted in suspensions for phishing, copyright violations, spam, etc. The fraud rate for signups from the US is less than 5% and about the same for Australia, UK, Canada, and many other countries. We understand "some" people will abuse the service and we have counter measures in place for those people.

I believe everything that needs to be said has been said regarding this topic. It is not something that is up for debate.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.