x10Hosting Unofficial TF2 Server

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
This is just a general survey thread to see who would be interested in me setting up an unofficial x10Hosting TF2 server (or other Source-based game server) on my VPS. The idea would be for it to be a general game server for any members of the x10Hosting forums.

Please note that I haven't actually tried this yet and this'll hinge on whether or not my VPS will be able to stand it ;)

--- Mr. DOS

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you set up a 100-tick 50000 rate and a server with an updaterate and cmdrate of 100, that runs 2fort Engy Power 24-7 and is a 32 slotter server, I will gladly join in :).

Just expect TF2 to use a lot of CPU though. It can become a pig after a while and expect the server to need a daily restart :). TF2 will require at least two cores of CPU as well as at least 512MB of RAM to run fairly smooth.

Last edited:

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Smith6612 said:
TF2 will require at least two cores of CPU as well as at least 512MB of RAM to run fairly smooth.
Hm. So not so much gonna happen on an X3 VPS then. Maybe if I ever upgrade...

--- Mr. DOS

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hm. So not so much gonna happen on an X3 VPS then. Maybe if I ever upgrade...

--- Mr. DOS

Pretty much not. Source Engine games are pretty CPU heavy. Add in the fact that a VPS is pretty much running virtualized with other people, it's asking for lag alone considering the overhead that associated with such things. You should be able to run a small server though with your VPS though. Left 4 Dead should run fine on your particular package. Left 4 Dead is better with lower resources than Team Fortress 2 is.

Last edited: