XAMPP I want 2 make a server out of my home computer

taha116

Reaction score
So im sure there are people who recognize XAMPP

apachime mysql php blablabla nd the X is eithr W, L etc windows linux

So basicaly, I used it b4 to turn my comp into a server and that all works great. I have 3 minor problems that i wanted 2 know if any1 can help me with.

1. Security, i did all the things it told me 2 when it came to security, however i was a little lost with the firewalls part cuz i know i have mine on however i am a little confsued cuz i have my modem and a router and my modem has its on firewall and i dont know if my router needs 1 so i never knew if my comp was secure that way nd thats why i uninstalled xampp

Any tips on how to keep myself safe from malicious jerkss please let me know

2. Mail system, i could never ever ever get the mail stuff to work in any php scripts i tested. I was always at a loss of what to do to for example set up w.e mail server so that when i regester on SMF i get my confirmation email

3. Expansion, I never tried this part but i always wondered how da fudge i wld install other softwares lyk ffmpg 4 example for my server

So as u can see I basically want to start my own server at home and make it tottaly secure and also flexiable so it can work with w.e type of scripts. Anyon1 who has advice tips etc let me know. O and id lyk any recomendations 2 a ISP that will allow me 2 run a server at home nd give me a decen upload speed.

Thanks, if u have anything that can help dont be shy post away!

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Security
For security, I'm no expert but there are hundreds of articles listing exactly what you need, such as this one: http://robsnotebook.com/xampp-security-hardening . A couple of those things you can ignore if you want a public site, e.g. 'Disable search engines from listing your site in search results.'.

Mail
XAMPP doesn't come with any built in mail solution, it relies on the user to set one up for themselves. This means either using an external SMTP server such as Gmail or to configure your own one such as Postfix.

Expansion
Other programs are installed like you normally would and the executables can be access through the command line or through a GUI, depending upon how you wish to use it.

taha116

Reaction score
hey i thot i replied 2 this already.. starange..

Anyways thanks
Im intrested in learning how 2 use Gmail for this tho
But im preaty sure there was a mailserver that came with it : Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Windows version, but I'm pretty sure the Mac version doesn't. In any case, it may be easier anyway to use Gmail with Google Apps so it even has the correct domain name.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
But im preaty sure there was a mailserver that came with it : Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32

Yes windows xampp ships with it. But mercury mail server doesn't work perfectly in windows 7 or vista.Although there is a workaround for this you can't install it as service but can start it manually when you want to use it.You will have to configure it to use.It has a good wizard system for anybody to get started .
XAMPP is only designed to be used as private webserver not for public webserver.So firewall is enough to protect you at localhost.If you want to use jsp you can install tomcat plugin.

Bhupendra

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Beyond what has already been mentioned, if you're using a Windows workstation OS (2000, XP, Vista, 7), you'll find that there are hard limits on incoming connections (ten, if I recall correctly), so it's not at all practical for a world-facing web server. Save yourself a lot of trouble and use something like Ubuntu Server -- setting up with the LAMP stack is pretty much the default, mail's a command away (as is Tomcat), admin is dead easy, etc. As for finding a cooperative ISP for your home-based server, well, they can be pretty scarce, and it completely depends on who is servicing your area. Most home accounts in my area specifically prohibit operating a server, and business-oriented DSL is either expensive or slow (take your pick).

ayesh

Reaction score
I use XAMPP's current version and it ships with Mercury MTA.
But I couldn't figure it out how to send email to local host from localhost.

In security side, XAMPP say itself to prevent using it on a production server.
Also, Its do not work perfectly with svc so I think we should use it to configure/build our sites in localhost.

You only have to move htdocs folder to server , and then export the DB to server.