Xbox 360 Elite Vs Linux When its gonna be possible??

vmadarasz

Reaction score
Hi,

So far I was interested to buy an Xbox 360 Elite because I really wanted to put Linux On It and use as a media center in my room...

But after I saw that right now It is not possible....

Anyone knows when a new exploit/patch will be available for it to sort these issues out??

And I know I could put linux on a PS3 easier but the hardwer side (aka less RAM, etc,etc, only positive is the bluray support) is a bit sluggish for my ideas :lockd:

Thanks,

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use my 360 as a media center. My laptop runs vista so I use Vista Media Center but that actually has a lot of problems with certain file types.

However, I also have Orb installed on my other computer. It allows me to stream pretty much every single media file type to my 360 (as well as PSP, PDA, PS3, Wii, etc).

Another cool thing is that if you're running Orb on your computer at home and you're over a friends house or somewhere, you can stream your media anywhere.

www.orb.com

I really wouldn't count on the 360 getting linux to run on it anytime soon, so that's why I gave you that info, by the way.

vmadarasz

Reaction score
I see... :)

Yes, media streaming is an option...a real good one anyway...
Just because so far it was available as long as that Mcoft patch being released...so I dont know whats going on now...

I will have a look right now on orb :)

Thanks,

I just see another one Im gonna get the name of it for you... :)

Thanks,
:lockd:
Edit:
http://tversity.com/ thats the one I think seems interesting
The Xbox 360 can play live Internet video streams coming from TVersity (no other media server can do that).

Seems ok, check the site :)

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I see... :)

Yes, media streaming is an option...a real good one anyway...
Just because so far it was available as long as that Mcoft patch being released...so I dont know whats going on now...

I will have a look right now on orb :)

Thanks,

I just see another one Im gonna get the name of it for you... :)

Thanks,
:lockd:
Edit:
http://tversity.com/ thats the one I think seems interesting
The Xbox 360 can play live Internet video streams coming from TVersity (no other media server can do that).

Seems ok, check the site :)

I used to use Tversity but I found Orb to suit my needs more. I love the ability to log in anywhere and have access to not only my media, but my files on my computer, for free.

Also, I don't know if it's an issue any longer but Tversity only worked if you actually install third party codexs to play some videos. With Orb you have all that stuff built in.

Tversity is nice though if you're looking for just a streaming program. Thanks though.

moreuse

Reaction score
actually if you buy infectus modchip, you can do timming attack to force downgrade your xbox 360 kernel.
to the old version where the exploit is still there.

if you success doing it, the only downside with this method is :
- you wont be able to connect to xbox live forever.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I rather use a PS3 but the 360 might be a good idea. But I haven't tried that yet.

vmadarasz

Reaction score
actually if you buy infectus modchip, you can do timming attack to force downgrade your xbox 360 kernel.
to the old version where the exploit is still there.

if you success doing it, the only downside with this method is :
- you wont be able to connect to xbox live forever.

Well...It sounds great...just Im not sure if I could be away from the Live service forever :dunno:

But I think for most of the guys loosing a little (Xbox Live service) and winning much (all the advantages) is worth that thing... :lockd:

maybe its better to wait a little..I hope there will be a solution for these stuff...cause if it is gonna be possible again...I could use it as a Linux ,,machine" & play ,,any" game I would like from ,,any" sources, I could use it as a media center stuff as well (with streaming or maybe Mytv on Linux) and instead of the bluray stuff on the hardware side as much as I know its better for the Linux then da PS3..but maybe I am wrong.

Oh yes, and instead of the missing bluray...It has an unbeatable price right now over the PS3....

The human being is a wonderfull creature...soon they will find something and all the ,,newer" Xbox 360 Elites gonna run that Linux with some kind of Media Center extension and who is gonna care of the bluray....Anyway I am willing to buy a separate bluray player anyway...or use it on the computer...
Edit:
I used to use Tversity but I found Orb to suit my needs more. I love the ability to log in anywhere and have access to not only my media, but my files on my computer, for free.

Also, I don't know if it's an issue any longer but Tversity only worked if you actually install third party codexs to play some videos. With Orb you have all that stuff built in.

Tversity is nice though if you're looking for just a streaming program. Thanks though.

Hmmm..sounds interesting...maybe I need to try both of them and decide which gives me the most for my needs...

What I am really need to do the Best job as a Media Center (music,movies,pictures) and in my dreams DVR options as well...But for that ones maybe a Mac Mini with Plex or XBMC is better (but the Plex needs to be fixed up a little for the Mac Mini to play that HD stuff more flawless)

But the price of the Mac Mini is not the friendliest, thats why i was thinking the possibilities of pushing the Xbox 360 Elite up to the limits... :dunno:

Last edited: