Xbox 360 General Hardware Failure

kinley3

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm experiencing a general hardware failure on my Xbox 360. This is also referred to as an E74 or one blinking red light. I'm just wondering if any of you had ever experienced this.

If so, what would the out-of-warranty cost be of having Microsoft repair the problem? Would I simply be better off getting a new console, or trying to find an independent repair service to do the job? I'm just really unsure of what I should do. Thanks in advance!

khopcraft77

Reaction score
Microsoft replaces your console for free. They even give you a shipping coupon to make the shipment free.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like the 360 may have overheated at one point, or it simply needs new Thermal Paste. Could be possible the heat sinks are off. That error is just too general (pointing to Hardware Failure) to really diagnose, but if there's someone who will repair your 360 for cheap, see if they will do it. Otherwise a new one might be a good idea.

khopcraft77

Reaction score
The console is not under warranty.

As long as you haven't removed he warranty sticker, there are certain problems that are covered for life because the console is a piece of **** when it comes to the first couple of models. This is according to my friend anyways.

kinley3

Reaction score
Anything is covered for free within the first three years. After that, they'll still repair it, but at a cost. My console is pushing four years.

sysop.standalone39

Reaction score
One flashing light refers to power not the common gpu issue. Try unplugging the brick and plugging it in elsewhere, and with a friends/new power brick

MusicBoy

Reaction score
I'm guessing one of the following are the cause:

-The little sticky heat pads on the RAM have reached the end of their rope.
(Penny method works great for this)

-The X-Clamps are beginning to warp your mother board. Usually this happens when the xbox overheats. Not to mention the clamps are gripping the board WAY to tight anyways... (This problem is also fixable with some mechanical screws and washers)

-The crappy soder connection that comes in xbox's is beginning to give out and you will need your motherboard/northbridge/gpu reflowed. (Can do this yourself with a heat gun)

I know all of these methods work for a fact because I have used ALL OF THEM in my xbox360. It still works and since I reflowed it last time I have yet to have any promblems so far. Been running great for 6+ months now :)

Last edited:

sysop.standalone39

Reaction score
I'm guessing one of the following are the cause:

-The little sticky heat pads on the RAM have reached the end of their rope.
(Penny method works great for this)

-The X-Clamps are beginning to warp your mother board. Usually this happens when the xbox overheats. Not to mention the clamps are gripping the board WAY to tight anyways... (This problem is also fixable with some mechanical screws and washers)

-The crappy soder connection that comes in xbox's is beginning to give out and you will need your motherboard/northbridge/gpu reflowed. (Can do this yourself with a heat gun)

I know all of these methods work for a fact because I have used ALL OF THEM in my xbox360. It still works and since I reflowed it last time I have yet to have any promblems so far. Been running great for 6+ months now :)

And when you experienced the rlod for each of these issues you had, did it not produce 3rlod?