xbox-360-to-get-integrated-hd-dvd-drive-

mygorillanet

Reaction score
Not that we'd put it past Microsoft or anything, but we can already smell a rumor brewing where there is probably none regarding the long-speculated and continuously denied plans to integrate an HD DVD drive into the Xbox 360. Granted, Bill's got to have something to talk about on stage at CES next week, but we we're not putting much stock in the pure speculation of a fresh Seattle Times piece, which, without sources, simply holds that "Microsoft could also make a splash by announcing plans to give the Xbox 360 an internal HD-DVD drive". Yep, they could do that which has been speculated endlessly since the HD DVD drive itself was announced in 2006 -- or not. Guess we'll find out for sure next week. Just don't get your hopes up.

Oh, and those
Xbox Live outages we've been covering? Rumor has it that Microsoft is going to do right by its customers and hook up Gold members with a little something -- at least according to an unnamed Xbox insider. Guess we'll see about that too one once things stabilize on the Live front.

breaker_2015

Reaction score
i heard this as well.
it seems that microsoft could want to put hddvd in the next revision of the xbox360 to compete
with blueray on the ps3 and the fact they are backing what seems to be behind hddvd format.
but they are also putting alot behind xbox live and media downloading. would people want to buy
online content with microsofts frankly pathetic points system when they can pop in an hddvd?

SomeoneH

Reaction score
Well, if they do it, people might be more willing to buy the 360. Or, it might push the cost too high and make it go the same way as the PS3..

cityeyes

Reaction score
I doubt it. The 360 right now is selling as well as its equally (and sometimes lower priced when you take the elite into mind) counterpart without an HD-DVD drive. They wouldn't add a peripheral that will jack up the price even more unless they were positive there would be no negative effects associated to it.

Plus, if they did that, they'd never really be able to use HD-DVD for gaming purposes since they'd be leaving out the millions that bought the 360 before they integrated the hardware.

Clinton

Reaction score
I highly doubt that. There's no way even if this rumor was true that they would flip current users who are stuck with a DVD. If it happens it won't be used for games at all.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
There have been rumours about an Xbox 360 with an integrated HD-DVD ever since MS and Toshiba announced a partnership over the format back in 2005.

Its 2008 now. These rumours are old.

I honestly don't see what the attraction would be.

Theres already the addon, 120GB harddrive, standard DVDs, and plenty of movies to download.

Still, I'd never rule it out completely. HD-DVDs are much cheaper than blu-ray drives, so it wouldn't bump up the cost that much.

And if people are extra lulled into buying a 360 because of a HD-DVD drive that 90% of the population of relevent countries can't take full advantage of.... well, more gain to MS.

Evocation

Reaction score
They might do it to try and drive HD-DVD, as at the moment it's slowly losing the war.. but unless they do it with the same price tag as the elite people would go ps3 as it'd be the cheaper option for once... but then they have the chance of pissing off the existingelite owners...
they're more likely to make the HD-DVD add-on alot cheaper

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
This rumor has been shot down at CES 2008; Microsoft said that if Blu-ray won the format war, they would consider a Blu-ray drive.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd like to see them do something highly unusual and provide a way for users to replace the drives themselves. Obviously, it's never going to happen, not in a million years, but I think those that build their own PCs should at least have the option. Only downside is I'm sure it will be a LOT more fiddly in the confines of a games console case.

Archkronos

Reaction score
This rumor has been shot down at CES 2008; Microsoft said that if Blu-ray won the format war, they would consider a Blu-ray drive.

Oh. You beat me to it.

They can't easily intergrate it. Why? Simple. Some games could take advantage of it, and other gamers won't be able to use these games.