Your Favorite Web Language?

poringy

Reaction score
What is your favorite language? Some of the examples are ColdFusion, HTML, XHTML, PHP with something like Leopard or Smarty combined, ASP, ASP.NET, Javascript, Ajax(combination of languages), etc.

Also, I want to know what you use it for. Lots of people use languages in a way that could better be implemented in another language.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
I usually only ever used PHP and HTML, but HTML is more of my niche.

I would like to do more PHP coding but its not as simple as HTML is, but the good thing about PHP is that HTML can be mixed in with it, im not sure if you are able to do it with .html documents but I suppose if you use the <? ?> tags then it might work.

I have never tried using ColdFusion, XHTML, ASO or Ajax, but thanks for making me aware of what Ajax is. I might try and learn a few of the other web design coding languages sometime when I have free time.

I usually use HTML for basic web design and for my websites and PHP for status checking scripts and all that. Having Zend Studio really helps you to see most of the PHP language codes and all that but even then its really hard to determine what to use, so I basically use tutorials to do it right.

Last edited:

Torch

Reaction score
PHP would be my choice since it's most widely supported and it's easy. My other 2 favorite ones are ColdFusion and Lasso. Ruby is good too, but not many hosts support it.
Languages like HTML, CSS, Javascript go without question since without them server-side languages wouldn't have any point ;)
BTW, AJAX isn't really a language on it's own, it's more a (not so much anymore) new use of old stuff (javascript mainly).

As for what I use it for, that depends on who I'm working for since I'm a freelance. I've done anything from small script modifications to full dynamic sites. One of projects I'm currently working on is AJAX Painter. I started it as a free time project, but now making it for a client. It's basically online advanced Paint with some nifty features.

firefly

Reaction score
The one I know most is HTML and then there's CSS which I know pretty well. I'm pretty sure lots of people know at least these two. Other than those two, I like PHP. I learned it pretty quickly and it's easy too. I only know the basics only though. I can't do anything that's really complex.

Chris Z

Reaction score
PHP - sorta know this, HTML - sorta know this, CSS - i want to learn this

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I know ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, SOME PERL, HTML, COLDFUSION, CSS, XHTML, XSL, and all of them..love em all

Last edited:

Cubeform

Reaction score
PHP. Easy to use, easy to learn.
HTML/CSS you obviously need to know.
XML/XSLT I know a bit.
I've started learning the technologies used in AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML).

Next up, probably Ruby On Rails.

Last edited:

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
HTML is the only code i REALLY know...
I like PHP, but i can't find a good tutorial to learn. If someone knows about one, please tell me :D

dharmil

Reaction score
php cuz its the easyst to learn and ther eis so many tuts for it and the php [SIZE=-1]Manual [/SIZE]

waster

Reaction score
dharmil said:
php cuz its the easyst to learn and ther eis so many tuts for it and the php [SIZE=-1]Manual [/SIZE]

i agree with you :naughty:

and it's more safe ...

Cubeform

Reaction score
blong4life said:
I s ActionScript a web language???:dunno:

ActionScript is the scripting language for Adobe Flash, so I guess it is in a sense.

Xenon Design

Reaction score
PHP
I have learnt both PHP and ASP and by far PHP pwns ASP. PHP just has that vast library of ready made components/functions ready for you to use in a easy to understand format. Really good for beginners :)

I use it in all my websites but mostley in ones that need database intergration.

AJAX (or AJAP, the P being PHP instead of XML)
Ive really loved this way of Javascript ever since I learnt about it. It allows active content that always sends and recieves in the background. Ive used PHP instead of XML of late cause I find it easier to pass variables that way.

Ive used a little in my game but I hanvt gone much into it.

Javascript
The joys of this browser code are unmeasurable. Im just learning new cool features with it now and im putting together a free online script library of what I have made. Ill keep you informed...

Then theres HTML and CSS for obvious reasons :)

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Xenon Design said:
PHP
I have learnt both PHP and ASP and by far PHP pwns ASP. PHP just has that vast library of ready made components/functions ready for you to use in a easy to understand format. Really good for beginners :)

I use it in all my websites but mostley in ones that need database intergration.

AJAX (or AJAP, the P being PHP instead of XML)
Ive really loved this way of Javascript ever since I learnt about it. It allows active content that always sends and recieves in the background. Ive used PHP instead of XML of late cause I find it easier to pass variables that way.

Ive used a little in my game but I hanvt gone much into it.

Javascript
The joys of this browser code are unmeasurable. Im just learning new cool features with it now and im putting together a free online script library of what I have made. Ill keep you informed...

Then theres HTML and CSS for obvious reasons :)

Do you have any tutorials for AJAX or know of any links

Bonekhan

Reaction score
I've been gradually learning HTML since I was 7. Now, I'm getting into CSS Design and PHP, but its still pretty gradual :(