Your Forum Software

What forum software do you use for your website?

• Total voters

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
I love IPB's new look in 2.2.0.

The install.php script is completely re-done (well it seems that way) and has way better graphics and organisation (also split into steps). It is also mainly easy install unlike vBulletin which you need to manually edit the config.php file to get the db settings and folder of it.

The friends list is a new feature in IPB 2.2.0 but I have not yet discovered the full insight of the friends list.

The Admin CP also has a bit of a make over with some new graphics and a new login box.

I would recommend IPB 2.2.0 for people that want a decent forum with good and necessary settings - I can't remember what I couldnt find on vBulletin that I use in IPB but something that should be in Admin CP.

One of the good things about vBulletin is the Mod CP which IPB does not have a seperate CP or else its just that tiny bit in the User CP (ps admin can allow moderator access to certain admin CP functions and areas).

I tried living with phpBB and got annoyed - you cannot even have sub-forums for gods sakes (can't live without them).

Simie

PHP PRO
Reaction score
I use SMF, and I find PHPBB the worst forum system out there. I absolutely hate the admin panel :p

(Its funny, the person who designed my site designed the ikonboard site :p)

Last edited:

avianwings

Reaction score
Considering the application, each type of forum software has its differences and positive/negative points regardless of personal opinion. However, you will find that many people share the same opinion that the more "abused, free forums" have a tendency to be considered the worst out of all them. Here are some of the reasons why:

phpBB (let's use these guys for an example)
  • phpBB is quite possibly the most recognised forum software on the internet today. Recognised, as being the software that the majority of users tend to install on their personal websites.
  • phpBB is targetted for its security vulnerabilities and has the highest rate of confirmed hacks. Why is this? See bullet one for the answer. The same instance can be applied to operating systems. You will find that more security holes are exploited by hackers in the Windows OS than the OSX (Mac), just because the effect is devastating to a larger number of people rather than a selective grouping.
  • phpBB is free. Unfortunately for those people that do not have the money to purchase forum software that isn't under GNU (a General Public License), free software always looks like the best route.
  • phpBB has a vast database of third party*, unverified/unofficial modifications and PHP tweaks on their website. When people install these types of things, they tend to create security holes within the main forum software.
  • phpBB boasts a rather simple ACP with basic to intermediate administrative functions. Any other tweaks to the UI would need to be performed in the forum software's PHP files.
*Third Party plugs/mods can be devastating to ANY forum software, regardless of the license restrictions. Take Drupal for instance. Once installed and correlated with a vB forum, a simple exploit can allow a hacker to access the vB ACP and modify every.single.post on the forums.*

Needless to say, forum softwares cannot be justified as being better than one another on these accounts I have listed. It is just a principle of numbers. If more people move to a licensed forum rather than a free forum, then you will start to find hackers finding exploits in those types of softwares.

For this reason, I prefer vB over all of the rest. It has the least number of security holes (base), and is allowant to many different modifications without going overboard.

Cubeform

Reaction score
  • phpBB has a vast database of third party*, unverified/unofficial modifications and PHP tweaks on their website. When people install these types of things, they tend to create security holes within the main forum software.
*Third Party plugs/mods can be devastating to ANY forum software, regardless of the license restrictions. Take Drupal for instance. Once installed and correlated with a vB forum, a simple exploit can allow a hacker to access the vB ACP and modify every.single.post on the forums.* Needless to say, forum softwares cannot be justified as being better than one another on these accounts I have listed. It is just a principle of numbers. If more people move to a licensed forum rather than a free forum, then you will start to find hackers finding exploits in those types of softwares. For this reason, I prefer vB over all of the rest. It has the least number of security holes (base), and is allowant to many different modifications without going overboard.
It's unfair to weigh in third-party plugins when comparing any type of software, because the plugins are installed at the user's discretion; it isn't included in the software's default installation, and is therefore not part of the software. I've never had any administrative experience with forums, but my experiences with IPB have been great, and I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately, the developers apparently want more money, so I would also highly recommend vBulletin (I still voted IPB).

Also, where did you find the Drupal vBulletin module exploit? I've looked everywhere and I can't find it.

avianwings

Reaction score
It's unfair to weigh in third-party plugins when comparing any type of software, because the plugins are installed at the user's discretion; it isn't included in the software's default installation, and is therefore not part of the software. I've never had any administrative experience with forums, but my experiences with IPB have been great, and I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately, the developers apparently want more money, so I would also highly recommend vBulletin (I still voted IPB).

Also, where did you find the Drupal vBulletin module exploit? I've looked everywhere and I can't find it.

Indeed, third party plug-ins are not included in the default forum software (thus my reasoning for putting that green disclaimer right at the bottom of those bullets). Third party software can have potentially negative effects on all types of forum software, regardless of license origin (free or paid). I'm not saying the plug-ins themselves make phpBB a "weaker" type board, it's just the number of phpBB unverified/unofficial mods that have never been tested for compatibility and security. The temptation is there (as it seems everyone wants to 'beef' up their boards nowadays), and they never consider the damage they could be done by modifying PHP files with different code.

As far as the Drupal module exploit, I can't remember where it is. At a game creation community I belong to, the forum itself was targetted through Drupal (according to the administrator), and the hacker turned every post into; "why did you flame my topic, screw your f***ing forums".

Reaction score
Well i current have AEF Forum sytem.
I found that like a few day's ago and i like it.
Also i used PHPBB.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
I always used IBP, since 1.3
I have 1.3, 2.0 and 2.1.4 Final and love using them. the best of them, i have the rpg inferno add-on, so the forum have a rpg action :D

Archkronos

Reaction score
No-one uses Iconboard. lol.

Never heard of it before, though, apart from IPB's founders used to make it...

f4lk3X

Reaction score
full custom VB. Its the best Forum ive ever seen. If u did not use mods for VB take SMF

zero5854

Reaction score
Well like i said in the other one like this...I have used VB and IPB, and now SFM...let me tell ya I think that SFM is the best...and it doesnt cost $160..its FREE!!!

install mods in a snap...lots of em maybe more than the latter 2!