YouTube: An Artistic Goldmine?

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
I've always been interested in musicians who haven't "made it" yet, mainly because they have their own style and a quality you just don't find in artists with a label, mainly because artists signed to a label have to essentially produce the type of music their label tells them too.

Further, more and more artists are outsourcing their lyrics and all that which in my opinion causes them to loose touch with the essence of what they do. To pull off a song you really have feel and believe what you're signing.

So, I've turned to YouTube. A quick search for "Original Song" brings up tons and tons of artists who write and sing their own music on YT and subsequently the related video box leads you to more and more and more and more. It's endless! And I'm LOVING it. Lots of brand new music I've never heard before from artists who really have the "umph" it takes to pull off a song, you can really feel and hear the emotional attachment these artists have with their music which makes them all the more amazing and worth-while.

Anyone else trolling YT for new music? I sometimes wish I had a label so I could sign all these guys/gals so the rest of the world could hear them. :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I love listening to such music on YouTube. I find this music also readily available for download around on the Creative Commons. Great stuff for not being marketed.

Record labels = $$$. Many bands I know are starting to sell music themselves rather than going through a label and people in fact like this new idea of self-selling.

David

Reaction score
I know, and it allows artists to be artists, and not have a giant label dictating their sound. It's great!

tartou2

Banned
Reaction score
You might have a good point of view but honestly i don't care if these artists wrote their songs or their labels choose the songs for them or whatever.

I only care if the song is good and attract me to listen it again and again.

David

Reaction score
Its nice to listen to music that just sounds good, too, don't get me wrong, but I love the raw emotion that many of these YouTube artists are showing in their work. It's not a quality you find in many artists these days.

Think about it, when you write a song, you know the exact emotional mindset you were in during the event you wrote about. When someone else writes a song, you just gotta guess and hope you channel the right emotion.

I just enjoy the purity of some these artists that you don't always get with some of the newer artists who don't write their music or who have labels that are telling them how they should sound. These artists are able to sound good, damn good, and still be themselves.

David

Reaction score
What do you guys/gals listen to on YT?