Account lost during migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsfccont

Reaction score
Hi,

Prior to the migration period my account was suspended for inactivity, and then lost during migration before the grace period was over. I raised this issue on the forum (https://community.x10hosting.com/threads/account-suspended-for-inactivity.192702/), and was told that if I signed up for a new account the backups could be restored.

When I tried to sign up, I received an error message towards the end of the process and mentioned this on the thread. I received no reply, and have since realised that this must have been due to the ongoing migration. However, now when I try to log in (using my e-mail and password) I simply get an "Access denied" message.

I would like to have the new account operational and backups restored asap, both because I have people who want to use the site and also because I am concerned that the original grace period may come to an end and my files be lost permanently, so I would appreciate a quick response if possible.

Thanks for your help.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
We have your files, you don't have to worry about that. Signups are currently processing, which is why you're receiving that error.

hsfccont

Reaction score
Thank you very much.
My signup has now completed and I have created a new website. When will you be able to upload my backups to the site? Is there anything else I need to do?

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
What's your username or domain name?

Can you please link that hosting account to this forum account so that I can verify your account ownership to restore the account to?

hsfccont

Reaction score
The domain is hsfccontracts.x10.mx, I think the username is now hsfccon2. It's done under the same account as the forum account as far as I'm aware: I logged in using my email address before signing up for the account.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I've restored your files from a backup that we have... your databases, however are a different story.

Because of the nature of the storage engine that you're using for your databases, we cannot simply drop in the folder back onto the server.. it would cause a lot of issues. Therefore, your databases are, unfortunately, unrecoverable.

hsfccont

Reaction score
Thanks. I've just checked the site and it says that my account has been suspended - is this just temporary?

Is there really no way to recover the database? That is the most important part of what has been lost, and I do not have a recent back up of the data. Can you explain why they are not recoverable please?

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about the suspension.. I forgot to run the unsuspend from your old backup.

As for the databases, I've just checked again, and there are now two problems.

For some reason, there appears to be almost no data in any of the backups that we have (dating back to April 20th). There was a small amount of data in one of the databases, and from the few files that were in there, I could see that the database was using the InnoDB storage engine. InnoDB is a very tricky storage engine because of the log file... in order to properly re-import the database, I would have to provision a server with the exact setup of mysql that we currently have, then I'd have to throw your database folders into it... this would crash MySQL/InnoDB. Then, I'd have to use force_recovery to slowly step down the recovery levels, fixing any errors it found, before your data could be dumped, and reimported into the production server. It's a very involved process, and, seeing as there is very little data in the backups (and when I say very little, I mean... VERY little), it's really not worth it to go these lengths to recover it.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.. however we don't keep backups for users. As per our ToS, backups are the SOLE responsibility of the user. Our backups are officially only for catastrophic server failure... which isn't what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.