x10Hosting Account Signups

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This just came to me while I was mucking around with various bits of PHP. Corey gets loads of messages about the account signup process for a hosting account being complicated. What I was wondering is this: what makes it so complicated? I'd just like to know exactly what's scary about it so I can avoid making my users freak out on the arcade when I introduce a few new features (completely unrelated to hosting, mainly high scores and profiles) soon.

So, why is it so complicated?

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think the confusion is with the fact that you have to register on the Forums first, an it doesn't create a Forum account for you. I think people sometimes get confused about which account is which (They don't always have the same username for both).

Anyway, with the new site I think I saw somewhere that the sign-up script is going to be greatly simplified, and it'll automatically create a Forum account.

EDIT:
Congrats on reaching 1000 posts.

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I think the confusion is with the fact that you have to register on the Forums first, an it doesn't create a Forum account for you. I think people sometimes get confused about which account is which (They don't always have the same username for both).

Anyway, with the new site I think I saw somewhere that the sign-up script is going to be greatly simplified, and it'll automatically create a Forum account.

EDIT:
Congrats on reaching 1000 posts.

Thanks, took me long enough :).

Back on topic I thought that, and it's not always clear which account to use for the AMP and IRC either. But, let's see what the users say.

-Luke.

Daniel S

Reaction score
When i first came to x10 i found it complicated how we have to link our forum accounts. And when i came last year in December i had a different user name for my AMP, My forum User Name And my cpanel so i never knew which one to use. After about a week i understood how it all works and now i can find my way around and everything seems simple.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
When i first came to x10 i found it complicated how we have to link our forum accounts. And when i came last year in December i had a different user name for my AMP, My forum User Name And my cpanel so i never knew which one to use. After about a week i understood how it all works and now i can find my way around and everything seems simple.

So having a unified set of usernames and password for the whole site works well; and making it clear which ones you need to use where if you absolutely have to have multiple sets is a good idea. I think that might be where the current x10Hosting site is a little confusing; where it all seems to go wrong.

Now, can we have some users posting for us please? We're going to have all the staff in this thread at this rate :lol:.

-Luke.

wh00p101

Reaction score
So as a user. Having 1 username/password for the entire site is always a good thing. Where as you have 1 sign up for the forum, the portal for whatever it is, and the admin parts. That way no one is confused by it.

Then again. Some people like to have different usernames/passwords for different parts of the site to differentiate the parts

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I think people think it is confusion that they need to create separate accounts. (Forum and Hosting)
If you are going to work on your own site, use 1 registration form so everything is consistent.
:)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I've always thought that; I try to integrate logins. So if we were to make it clearer for users in the new x10Hosting site which username and password you need to use for the account management panel, cPanel, the forums and whatever it would make it easier? Maybe we need a thread explaining the need for the seperate accounts and which ones you should use where.

-Luke.

kkenny

Reaction score
So as a user. Having 1 username/password for the entire site is always a good thing. Where as you have 1 sign up for the forum, the portal for whatever it is, and the admin parts. That way no one is confused by it.

Then again. Some people like to have different usernames/passwords for different parts of the site to differentiate the parts

but when you find one username/password, you find them all. And that wouldn't be too good...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My normal username for forums and such is different than my cPanel username, but x10's system isn't too hard to understand once you get used to it.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Maybe we need a thread explaining the need for the seperate accounts and which ones you should use where.

Although once the new site is launched the signups will be simplified, so that should remove the need for such a thread.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Still, we need to help new members find their way better. When I was new here I was quite confused, and I had to search the forums (yeah, some people do use that function) to find some more information about which logins are used where.

This has been pretty interesting, anyone else fancy saying anything about this?

-Luke.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say I found it confusing at all, except for maybe the forum sign up being separate, but then on the other hand I might have signed up for forum before hosting for the simple reason of lurking and seeing what others said about the service...

Reaction score
I can't really remember signing up but if I remember correctly it told you, you had to sign up to the forum so the two accounts could be linked then you'd put your forum ID into the form and choose another name for your cpanel account - pretty straight forward to me.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I can't really remember signing up but if I remember correctly it told you, you had to sign up to the forum so the two accounts could be linked then you'd put your forum ID into the form and choose another name for your cpanel account - pretty straight forward to me.

The problem is that that text didn't stand out enough and not everybody bothers to read the writing that Corey put in the signup process. How many people read the ToS when they signed up? Not many I bet. Because they missed it and it's not particularly clear on the login forms we have problems like this all the time.

-Luke.