New Artists Site

Discussion in 'Review My Site' started by funhouse0772, Aug 27, 2010.

1. funhouse0772

funhouse0772 New Member

I only have my main page up. That is sort of the theme of it though. There will be 3-5 galleries in the gallery page with about 12 or so pics on each.

http://www.alanklemm.com/

thoughts and overall feelings welcome.

alan

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. nuwanpra

nuwanpra New Member

Your idea is great. Nice pic.

If you can add some HTML and CSS to it it will be so creative.

3. Doan

Doan New Member

that pretty nice =D did you code it yourself?

4. nuwanpra

nuwanpra New Member

Ok. I can see it going great. All the vary best. Your theme is cool.

5. patriotseminar72

patriotseminar72 New Member

Its really well designed. I am not a fan of hover affects, but thats a personal choice :)
    I think its might be too dark and bleak (not a fan of mainly black), but it does seem to go along with some of your art and does provide a contrast, so its a tough choice.
    I like how you have kept it simple, a lot of modern web designers will just put too much on their websites and make them very inefficient.
    Also, if you want to protect your work, I would (at minimum) add water marks to your pictures or, use a php or flash based gallery for your pictures. The php image gallery called "Gallery" in Softaculous (in cPanel) is supposed to be quite good and has a feature to automagically serve images with watermarks even if you feed it your original photos. A flash based gallery should be able to do the same thing, and it also forces users to have to first copy their screen to copy a photo instead of simply right clicking and copying.

Finally, the last part is that pictures are encased in a large black surrounding frame with a little bit of text. Serving that whole thing is inefficient. You should use a simple picture with just your art and then use CSS to place it where you want it to be. If you want to still use an image for your wording, use CSS to place that as well.

6. nuwanpra

nuwanpra New Member

Yeah. Water idea is really wise. Otherwise your pics will go all over the world and someone will sell it back to you.

I think better not to go for Flash. I suggest Jquery or Mootools instead of Flash. If you want any feature rich complex animations well optimized Flash would be great.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. funhouse0772

funhouse0772 New Member

thanks, I will definitely employ the ideas you suggested. I appreciate your advice.
    thanks again!

8. v4xde

v4xde New Member

Hi,
    I am using a broadband conection, but there are 2 png files that take a lot longer than others to load.
    I think those are the logo and 1st picture.
    If you would like to load your site faster, change those to jpg, it may result.
    v

9. callumacrae

callumacrae not alex mac Community Support

I like, but it is a bit slow loading. Also, the glowing on mouseover makes it look a bit frontpagey, in my opinion.

~Calum

10. dessa12976

dessa12976 New Member

Your site's great! I like it a lot!

11. hell_legend_199616

hell_legend_199616 New Member

Nice site. i like the feel/theme of it. it's got different buttons. not something you see everywhere (which was the first thing me eye went to when it loaded). the mouse over buttons work well.

12. outofgo20

outofgo20 New Member

I like you pencil drawings (and I'm learning to draw mysefl); one suggestion if you don't mind: find not black background for your site.

alex

13. stpvoice

stpvoice Community Support Rep Community Support

It looks very good, except some of the galleries are quite slow loading.....perhaps consider resizing some of the images to the bare minimum?

• Like Like x 1
  14. mosimages

mosimages New Member

15. kzonax89

kzonax89 New Member

yea, is nice. i like the ideea. but some links don't work, don't appears nothing.. ;)

16. funhouse0772

funhouse0772 New Member

thank you for input.... I am thinking the same thing. My helps seems to think the larger the better, I agree with you.... when I optimize the pics they look fine to me. So I'll talk to him about it.

thanks again
    alan

17. cybrax

cybrax Community Advocate Community Support

You have talent and we can point you in the right direction to hone your web design skills. The big problem for your site is the slow loading times caused by the images like this one ..

http://www.alanklemm.com/wpimages/wp41044fda.jpg was particulary distressing to find. Its original diemensions are 962px x 554px but the actual picture only occupies a space of little more than 340px x 500px with the rest being just black.

Image galleries are a fundamental part of the web and plenty of ready made scripts are available that can used 'as is' or for inspiration and altered to suit your needs take a look over at Dynamic drive

18. sshaw815

sshaw815 New Member

Have a look at mine ?
    www.stephenshawbelfast.co.uk

19. bruno_cardoso22

bruno_cardoso22 New Member

somente para eu nao perder o meu host

20. kzonax89

kzonax89 New Member

nice nice, do not let the fans to wait, get serious and finish what you started :p