New Artists Site

funhouse0772

Reaction score
I only have my main page up. That is sort of the theme of it though. There will be 3-5 galleries in the gallery page with about 12 or so pics on each.

http://www.alanklemm.com/

thoughts and overall feelings welcome.

alan

Last edited:

nuwanpra

Reaction score
Your idea is great. Nice pic.

If you can add some HTML and CSS to it it will be so creative.

nuwanpra

Reaction score
Ok. I can see it going great. All the vary best. Your theme is cool.

patriotseminar72

Reaction score
Its really well designed. I am not a fan of hover affects, but thats a personal choice :)
I think its might be too dark and bleak (not a fan of mainly black), but it does seem to go along with some of your art and does provide a contrast, so its a tough choice.
I like how you have kept it simple, a lot of modern web designers will just put too much on their websites and make them very inefficient.
Also, if you want to protect your work, I would (at minimum) add water marks to your pictures or, use a php or flash based gallery for your pictures. The php image gallery called "Gallery" in Softaculous (in cPanel) is supposed to be quite good and has a feature to automagically serve images with watermarks even if you feed it your original photos. A flash based gallery should be able to do the same thing, and it also forces users to have to first copy their screen to copy a photo instead of simply right clicking and copying.

Finally, the last part is that pictures are encased in a large black surrounding frame with a little bit of text. Serving that whole thing is inefficient. You should use a simple picture with just your art and then use CSS to place it where you want it to be. If you want to still use an image for your wording, use CSS to place that as well.

nuwanpra

Reaction score
Yeah. Water idea is really wise. Otherwise your pics will go all over the world and someone will sell it back to you.

I think better not to go for Flash. I suggest Jquery or Mootools instead of Flash. If you want any feature rich complex animations well optimized Flash would be great.

Last edited:

funhouse0772

Reaction score
Its really well designed. I am not a fan of hover affects, but thats a personal choice :)
I think its might be too dark and bleak (not a fan of mainly black), but it does seem to go along with some of your art and does provide a contrast, so its a tough choice.
I like how you have kept it simple, a lot of modern web designers will just put too much on their websites and make them very inefficient.
Also, if you want to protect your work, I would (at minimum) add water marks to your pictures or, use a php or flash based gallery for your pictures. The php image gallery called "Gallery" in Softaculous (in cPanel) is supposed to be quite good and has a feature to automagically serve images with watermarks even if you feed it your original photos. A flash based gallery should be able to do the same thing, and it also forces users to have to first copy their screen to copy a photo instead of simply right clicking and copying.

Finally, the last part is that pictures are encased in a large black surrounding frame with a little bit of text. Serving that whole thing is inefficient. You should use a simple picture with just your art and then use CSS to place it where you want it to be. If you want to still use an image for your wording, use CSS to place that as well.

thanks, I will definitely employ the ideas you suggested. I appreciate your advice.
thanks again!

v4xde

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using a broadband conection, but there are 2 png files that take a lot longer than others to load.
I think those are the logo and 1st picture.
If you would like to load your site faster, change those to jpg, it may result.
v

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I like, but it is a bit slow loading. Also, the glowing on mouseover makes it look a bit frontpagey, in my opinion.

~Calum

hell_legend_199616

Reaction score
Nice site. i like the feel/theme of it. it's got different buttons. not something you see everywhere (which was the first thing me eye went to when it loaded). the mouse over buttons work well.

outofgo20

Reaction score
I like you pencil drawings (and I'm learning to draw mysefl); one suggestion if you don't mind: find not black background for your site.

alex

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks very good, except some of the galleries are quite slow loading.....perhaps consider resizing some of the images to the bare minimum?

kzonax89

Reaction score
yea, is nice. i like the ideea. but some links don't work, don't appears nothing.. ;)

funhouse0772

Reaction score
It looks very good, except some of the galleries are quite slow loading.....perhaps consider resizing some of the images to the bare minimum?

thank you for input.... I am thinking the same thing. My helps seems to think the larger the better, I agree with you.... when I optimize the pics they look fine to me. So I'll talk to him about it.

thanks again
alan

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You have talent and we can point you in the right direction to hone your web design skills. The big problem for your site is the slow loading times caused by the images like this one ..

http://www.alanklemm.com/wpimages/wp41044fda.jpg was particulary distressing to find. Its original diemensions are 962px x 554px but the actual picture only occupies a space of little more than 340px x 500px with the rest being just black.

Image galleries are a fundamental part of the web and plenty of ready made scripts are available that can used 'as is' or for inspiration and altered to suit your needs take a look over at Dynamic drive

kzonax89

Reaction score
nice nice, do not let the fans to wait, get serious and finish what you started :p