Setting up IMAP/Push email on iphone...

mikel2k3

Reaction score
Hey all,

Havnt visited these forums in a while! Got to admit, the design and everything is look a lot better! :D

Anyway!
Im just wondering if anybody else has managed to set this up before with there email accounts on there hosting?

I can manage to get the emails coming through to my phone - But only when I run the email app
(I presumed that once an email gets sent to my address, i would get notified pretty much straight away, instead of having to run the app to check it)

And I also havnt managed to get the app running properly to send emails from my phone?

I know this is probably more of an Iphone issue, but as the email address is based on X10, then its best to hopefully get everything sorted here.

Any help appreciated guys! :D

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
The emails arn't sent to the app, the app needs to run to connect to the server and check for emails.

on my phone(not an IPhone, a WM6.1 based phone), it checks for new emails every 5 minutes, then blinks the LED on the phone when one has arived.

I can't say much about actually sending emails though.

mikel2k3

Reaction score
Id say I agree with you... but i dont, haha.

There are two options within the iphone. Either by Fetch or Push.

Fetch - The way you just mentioned, with it checking for new emails every 5/10/15 minutes etc.
Push - The email SHOULD come through once an email is sent through automatically (without the need for it checking every 5 mins)

Any ideas?
Edit:
Any other ideas guys?

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
A lot of it can depend on battery life.

Fetch = More battery life.
Push = Less battery life.

When I go outdoors, I set my blackberry on Fetch so it doesn't have to check the server constantly for new e-mails. It tends to save more battery life then when I'm using Push which does check the server constantly for e-mails, wasting battery life.

mikel2k3

Reaction score
A lot of it can depend on battery life.

Fetch = More battery life.
Push = Less battery life.

When I go outdoors, I set my blackberry on Fetch so it doesn't have to check the server constantly for new e-mails. It tends to save more battery life then when I'm using Push which does check the server constantly for e-mails, wasting battery life.

Isnt that a little contradictory?
And even so, iphone/x10 mix, anybody else set this up and have it working with push??

kkenny

Reaction score
I mean you will get less battery life if you put it on push. I don't know where it is, but I'm terribly sleepy and that may be why my English isn't so great haha. I used to have my iPhone to work with x10 Mail. Try doing it yourself in cPanel (the POP3 stuff), that's how I learned (I usually learn better doing things and making mistakes).