Resource Usage Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
As part of our maintenance we have re-instated our high resource usage policy which is being enforced by our backend system. If your user name uses more than a certain amount of resources for a prolonged period of time it is automatically suspended. The suspension starts out as 15 minutes, then raises by 15 minutes each consecutive time your account is suspended. Once it gets above an hour it requires a manual unsuspension from staff.

Example:
User corey has 8 processes running all using 4% CPU each = 32% total CPU. This would be flagged. If corey consistently uses X amount of resources over the next few minutes the account will be suspended.

CPU, Memory, and Processes are all weighted in making up the rating that gets you suspended. We did thorough testing on this and only accounts that consistently day after day have been in the top 10 for server resource usage overall for their server are being caught by this script.

#1 common cause for this issue is having poorly coded mods and add-ons installed to a CMS or forum. Every time a page is loaded on your forum or CMS when you have mods\add-ons adds extra queries and files that need to be loaded. This causes a huge problem when someone can easily look at 10+ pages within a few seconds and you have a good amount of users.
Note: We do not support 3rd party scripts so do not ask us to figure out what is causing the problem, you are responsible for everything you host and keeping your site within our guidelines.

#2 common cause, your site might have out grown free hosting. It might be time for you to upgrade to paid hosting, even if it is not with us. With free hosting you are sharing resources with a lot more people than you would at any paid host, this means we have to be more strict with how the resources are divided up.

Another example, it took someone using 15%+ CPU for over 3 minutes to get suspended while we were testing. So it is not set that low. You really have to be using a good amount to be affected by this.

-Corey

thepsyfamily

Reaction score
we have too many users now!

Psy get suspended again and again!

Last edited:

lachicavtv

Reaction score
is there a way of getting a log file or something to aid me on solving this kind of prblem, my forum went suspended again and i realy want to get it fixed.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You can look at your raw logs in your cPanel I believe to see what people are accessing.

lachicavtv

Reaction score
but i cant acces to the resource usage right? which process is responsible for that right?

nakg0d

Reaction score
You can look at your raw logs in your cPanel I believe to see what people are accessing.

As far as I know, I can't even log into my cPanel, even though the 30 minute unsuspension interval ended.

Tideas

Reaction score
lol, can't even access cpanel when the account is suspended
Edit:
the raw download is like an msdos app that doesn't do anything

Last edited:

marox

Reaction score
Have we any issue to know if we're using a lot of resources or not?
Like a script telling us in XX time or something like that you'll be suspended?!

DaveDaDon

Reaction score
yeah man
cuz its been more than 15 minutes and like.... its still suspended :(

and can u guys work on a script to like let us know (like what the above poster said) that we are using up to much space?

because like... i dont even kno how long my forum was down
i just got on and got this error gahhh

kajasweb

Reaction score
Oh!. My account has been downgraded to PHP v2. I was in PHP v3. My memory limit is slightly high. So, I got suspended in just 2 page loads. That too, i tried to log-in to my CMS to disable some MODs temporarily until I get my PHPv3 application approved.

What I have to do now? I have some handful of users. Most users are from India and they will be visiting my site in day time (Now, its 10AM in India). I think, my suspension time will increase dramatically.

I didn't disable some MODs. My account got suspended before that.

Please help me.. :crying:

DaveDaDon

Reaction score
yeah i was planning on disabling some mod's as well
as my site gets ALOT of traffic from my forum and my visual basic 6 tutorial videos

and since its been suspended and i checked this post
was going to try to chop some mod's off the forum

but i cant and ive been suspended for a while now
was gonna stay online til i get unsuspended but im sleepy now and i doubt im going to be unsuspended tonight even tho its supposed to be automatically =\

so hopefully 2maro everything will be ok

Tideas

Reaction score
hmm, i chopped off some mods from the forum too, yet unfortunately still went down after 10 minutes of usage, haha

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
I've raised the lower limit for account suspensions a little bit. It should be a little less strict now.

Last edited:

lachicavtv

Reaction score
I just have seen the server load on my account pannel and i have to tell you that it has to be wrong, i only have 3 mods in my forum, google sitemap, complete banners and the easymod. With me only online and posting server load tops 16.7% that is not right, cant be, its only me now...

t2t2t

Reaction score
the raw download is like an msdos app that doesn't do anything
Open it in notepad?
I just have seen the server load on my account pannel and i have to tell you that it has to be wrong, i only have 3 mods in my forum, google sitemap, complete banners and the easymod. With me only online and posting server load tops 16.7% that is not right, cant be, its only me now...
I believe that that load is made by all users on server.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
HMmm..Bryon, would you make a script to tell us the CPU usage and server load for our accounts?
this way we can manage and know if its possible or not to add new features to our websites.

mr kennedy

Reaction score
I wish to have a script like this aswell... my account gets suspended right after it gets unsuspneded :(

elbar

Reaction score
I do not understand .... because the use of resources involves displaying advertising and liaison x10hosting ....

You have to be outstanding to suspend the site of many visits?

Tomcenc

Reaction score
Yes the ability to read the resource usage would be very useful, in percent or the ability to know when you are at the brink of getting suspended. It would be really useful turning the resource heavy scripts off and display a message instead that the site is overloaded and they can retry later.

Status
Not open for further replies.