Resource Usage Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensen

Reaction score
Maybe the team can put up an advice to inform members that certain CMS or scripts are not allowed on the FREE hosting here. If phpbb3 or Joomla! eats up resources then x10 has every right to ban them or allow it on Level 3 PHP or something or only on paid hosting.
My uptime monitor keeps sending me reports of downtime so I'm not working on my site until things are more stable so that the team can work with less interuption.
Keep it up x10!

mr kennedy

Reaction score
Maybe the team can put up an advice to inform members that certain CMS or scripts are not allowed on the FREE hosting here. If phpbb3 or Joomla! eats up resources then x10 has every right to ban them or allow it on Level 3 PHP or something or only on paid hosting.
My uptime monitor keeps sending me reports of downtime so I'm not working on my site until things are more stable so that the team can work with less interuption.
Keep it up x10!

they only eat up heaps when they are modded

DragonQ

Reaction score
What do you mean by modded? I've been suspended twice in quick succession and all I am doing is uploading ZIP files with phpbb3 styles in them and then extracting them. I would have extracted them myself which would have reduced the load on the server, but that would only work via FTP and so far I haven't been able to use anything but the File Manager to upload files so far :(

Do people have phpbb3 forums on free x10hosting accounts that work fine with lots of users? Cos that's all I want, but if the site is gonna be down because of this suspension thing all the time I'll have to look somewhere else like --NAMED REMOVED--...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

There are probably lots of phpBB3 boards out there running on x10, I have seen over 50 while checking accounts and they run fine. Feel free to leave if you want, nobody here is stopping you. If you don't think our quality of service is good enough for you, then that's your opinion.

Last edited:

DragonQ

Reaction score
I haven't been with you long enough to form a valid opinion of how good your service is. It seems that the staff here are doing a lot to help with problems with the servers etc., it's just been a frustrating start for my account, I hope you understand. Currently I can't access my webpage since it thinks it's suspended when it isn't for example. Not much I can do with it.

I only have something like four more ZIP files to extract when my site works again and I'll be done playing with the files in any significant capacity, it'll be all forum from then-on and that shouldn't lead to any problems according to your experience, so that's good news - thanks.

P.S. Sorry for saying a name of another host, I thought it might get removed but I left it to see as I was curious :)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
well its good to know, i was testing a short php script, and it didn't load, and so i stoped it, i opend cpannel, and cpu usage was at like .70, i ran my scriped, and it jumped to like 1.8 or something.I deted the code, but it was like 3 lines of code, a couple functions and an echo, still no clue why it did that, considering it didn't do it on my peice of um, Dell, laptop.

Short story, if it takes along time for the page to load, check your scripts, you could be using an insane amount of cpu.

admintwo

Reaction score
Ok has anyone deleted all their other websites (like me) to keep one website that you may have downloaded from the Fantastico smiley face, the MamboJumbo program thing?

Is anyone experiencing problems with that, maybe your getting suspended from the CPU usage? I never ran any cron scripts or anything (not that I am aware of) and well, now I have been suspended for about 4 or well will soon be 5 times, for reasons I am not aware on how to control.

Anyone know if MamboJumbo is messed up in anyway or anything like that?

realmadridlover

Reaction score
As part of our maintenance we have re-instated our high resource usage policy which is being enforced by our backend system. If your user name uses more than a certain amount of resources for a prolonged period of time it is automatically suspended. The suspension starts out as 15 minutes, then raises by 15 minutes each consecutive time your account is suspended. Once it gets above an hour it requires a manual unsuspension from staff.

Example:
User corey has 8 processes running all using 4% CPU each = 32% total CPU. This would be flagged. If corey consistently uses X amount of resources over the next few minutes the account will be suspended.

CPU, Memory, and Processes are all weighted in making up the rating that gets you suspended. We did thorough testing on this and only accounts that consistently day after day have been in the top 10 for server resource usage overall for their server are being caught by this script.

#1 common cause for this issue is having poorly coded mods and add-ons installed to a CMS or forum. Every time a page is loaded on your forum or CMS when you have mods\add-ons adds extra queries and files that need to be loaded. This causes a huge problem when someone can easily look at 10+ pages within a few seconds and you have a good amount of users.
Note: We do not support 3rd party scripts so do not ask us to figure out what is causing the problem, you are responsible for everything you host and keeping your site within our guidelines.

#2 common cause, your site might have out grown free hosting. It might be time for you to upgrade to paid hosting, even if it is not with us. With free hosting you are sharing resources with a lot more people than you would at any paid host, this means we have to be more strict with how the resources are divided up.

Another example, it took someone using 15%+ CPU for over 3 minutes to get suspended while we were testing. So it is not set that low. You really have to be using a good amount to be affected by this.

-Corey

thank you

cityeyes

Reaction score
I haven't set up my site yet and I was suspended for 15 minutes. I think it had something to do with trying to access phpmyadmin for too long of a time.

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
lol, can't even access cpanel when the account is suspended
Edit:
the raw download is like an msdos app that doesn't do anything

No the reason it looks like that is because the domain you have ends in .com

what you need to do is add .txt on the end as its a text file you can open in notepad.

PS I recently went through a number of suspensions because of a bug on my account which meant php files downloaded instead of ran, and it also seems if you try and ftp in and get the password wrong a couple of times in a row, it also suspended me for high resource usage..

Status
Not open for further replies.