Windows VS. Mac

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Adobe Photoshop gives far better performance on Mac than on PC.
Where did you read this?

Every single benchmarks I found that weren't Apple's own, found that Photoshop, etc. ran faster on Windows, it was even faster on Windows using an Intel Mac.

Unlike normal hardware it's not some junk from Taiwan or so.
Apple gets their hardware buitl in Taiwan by Asus and Foxconn, normal hardware makers.

When I get a browser, I don't need an anti-virus, WYSIWYG editor, IDE for C++ or something like that. I need a web browser!
You've got a serious problem if you need this.

I don't need music player, I'll download it.
MacOS comes with Quicktime and iTunes. That's twice as much as Windows. Attempt to uninstall them just for fun... (you can, talk about how the machine behaves after that)

I've bought an iPod for my sister and it's been working flawlessly for a long time, unlike other MP3 players.
I suppose the other ones were CORA branded?

but there are alternatives
Freeware alternative on Windows = $30 shareware on MacOS.

If you really want to run some Windows apps on Mac, get a virtual machine (Parallels is good for Mac).
Parallels is a VM. A VM, even on a dual-core will kill the performance of both OSes. Instead, get Windows and Boot Camp.

I haven't got money to pay for a Mac.
That must be the only thing not coming from nowhere you said.

But back to topic - Mac use some of the same hardware, such as Intel CPUs, Corsair Memory, ATI/NVidia Graphics - all of which come in a PC - so saying macs use better hardware is an un-true statement, because its the same hardware.
Yup, there's just a little DRM key embedded on the motherboard, and an EFI firmware replacing a BIOS. Basically, you can run MacOS X on about any Core 2 Duo-based computer. All you need is a bootable USB key to simulate the DRM chip and EFI to let MacOS X install on your PC.

just click with two fingers, e.g. index finger and middle finger, the mac will recognise it as a "right" click
Dunno, on the Mighty Mouse, I just right-click if I want to right click, and middle click if I want to middle click. There are half-working embedded sensors that are supposed to detect where your fingers are placed when you click, but most of the time, when I middle or right click, it left clicks instead. Now you need instructions to click properly on a mouse? Talk about simple!

No viruses for some system is its advantage, not a disadvantage.
It leaves tons of open security holes.

And there are no viruses cause it hasn't got 10^100 security holes, unlike Windows.
Strange, in hacking contests, MacOS is always the first to be hacked. They can't find the security holes, because no one bothers trying to find them. BTW, there's a trojan right now on MacOS, it enables remote desktop and lets people use your Mac webcam and access all your passwords remotely. Some people say that this is totally possible, as remote desktop is a MacOS feature. The ability to steal password files makes part of this, apparently...

less-shiny than Vista
You can make it look like Windows 2000 if you want.

jjpeacha

Reaction score
I love these threads! The arrogancy of people amazes me. It's down to preference, what you feel comfortable with and at the end of the day - how much cash you have.

I think both Windows and Mac are good operating systems. No offence to you Linux users but you annoy me - "LINUX ftw", "Linux is 1337" and "Linux is so much more stable than windows/os x".

People like me don't have time to mess about with computers. I want to press the button and it to work. No problems. I find this is more true on Mac than on Windows XP/Vista (now before you say "You clearly haven't used Vista" - I have, I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops with vista SP1, I also have 1 desktop and 1 laptop with XP SP3. I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro both with Leopard OS 10.5.4).

I am constantly on my OS X systems due to the fact I am always designing. Windows just doesn't cut it for me in that department. I don't play games that require me to download or install something due to the fact they just don't impress me - This is why I have a 360 and a Wii (soon to be PS3 - for the blue ray player). Consoles are built to play the games and you don't need to make sure you have compatible hardware to play them.

This arguement about the better system has been going on for years and won't ever be finished because there will always be people who prefer one to the other.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Mac has it's advantage, to be intuitive, and fast. But the thing is that it's made for designers, artists, not casual persons how just want to check their email.
Linux is not compatible with a great many things, and your don't always have an easy exe to install. You have to install a package or compile the program yourself.
Windows, is made with something else in mind. It can run on any or almost any given computer. Most of the things that a casual user or a gamer need are a) included in Windows or b) made for Windows. Microsoft is even trying to bring the programmers that are on Linux or on Mac by creating an Express version that contain most of all the useful features of the Visual Studio suite, one of the most powerful compiler of C/C++ and a good one of VB and C#.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Linux is not compatible with a great many things, and your don't always have an easy exe to install. You have to install a package or compile the program yourself.
Still, that depends of the distributon. If you look at ubuntu for example, installing any applications available in the repositories is simpler than installing a program on OS X (very unintuitive) and Windows.

Most of the things that a casual user or a gamer need are a) included in Windows or b) made for Windows.
There's not many things coming with Windows. If you want a bit of compatibility, you need to get another media player, another picture viewer, another compression program, and then, you still need Office, Adobe Reader, drivers, Anti-Virus(optional), Anti-Spyware(very optional), and other applications.

With Linux, on the other side, many ready-to-use things are already included and easy to install. The major problems are the closed-source graphics drivers and licensed video codecs. That requires to add one or more repositories.

On MacOS X, about everything is included, except maybe a few browser plugins and productivity suite. It makes OS X ready to use for a non-technical inclined user without any help. Windows will never be that way, when Microsoft simply tries to include a browser or media player, they get sued by the EU.

Once the applications are installed, there's not many difference between the OSes for ease-of-use -- for a person who isn't able to install apps, except for a few differences between the interfaces you get used to. Otherwise, if you can install a program or driver, getting any OS to work is just a matter of time it takes to get things working.

hezuo

Reaction score
well, windows is by far the most popular os in the world. why? who knows! Mac is used by media designers, as many have stated. But i do prefer linux. you should give it a try.

dark_yux

Reaction score
Windows, I cant get with the "dropdown" menu being moved to the top of the screen especially because I use it so much. I prefer if it was at the top of the window instead, like windows.

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'I prefer windows'. Posts should be more like 'I think Windows is a lot better than Mac because windows is much more reliable and at you get more support. Also macs are rip off' etc. etc.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I guess it's really up to what you actually use your computer for. I'm a PC gamer, so Windows is my natural choice. I've used Mac before too, and I was impressed, but it did not support many of my games and programs. Also, I've never had a single problem with Windows XP or Vista, and haven't found Mac to be any more 'reliable' or 'stable' than Windows. Same thing for Windows XP vs Vista.

fempower

Reaction score
Mac has amazing design and user experience. Everything just works together. I'm extremely tired of the Blue Screen of Death. If I can get the cash, it's Mac for my next PC.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Mac has amazing design and user experience. Everything just works together. I'm extremely tired of the Blue Screen of Death. If I can get the cash, it's Mac for my next PC.

You should try fixing those BSODs. I've honestly since I first got Windows 2000 years ago, and even up to now where I have Vista on a gaming computer never had a BSOD. Windows 98, 95 and ME however, those were horrible and always BSOD'd at every opportunity when Windows or a program locked up. NT Platform = win!

Windows only BSODs when a system file was damaged by you or a program (virus, bad program, etc), crappy drivers for hardware, and hardware failure. Many times that BSOd if you run Windows 2000, XP, or Vista can be of really good use. It helped me figure out what was going on with my 11 year old laptop a year ago, and with the error it gave on the BSOD lead me right to a bad memory slot on it's Motherboard.