Windows VS. Mac

Zangetsu

Reaction score
I have a mac laptop and a windows based desktop computer. I think that the mac y more efficient and powerful when working with pplication like adobe CS3, but in windows is way better the games. So i'm sticking with windows.

which CS3 are you talking about ?

and i wouldnt mind getting a mac but their'e so expensive and i also have a message for the those who keep on complaining about vista and it goes like this: VISTA IS NOT CRAP, YOUR COMPUTER IS. :rant2:there ive said it :thefinger

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I can't understand those things! They over complicate things too much...
Plus, Mac doesn't have a chance against Windows because too many softwares is Windows-only.
It is the best for media and movie making, but Windows wins at everything else.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Linux is great! I dual boot Ubuntu with no problem.

Be aware: every version of Linux is harder to use than Windows if you learn Windows first. Many things are exclusively done through a command prompt similar to DOS. However, there are applications to make life easier in Linux and anyone who is willing to learn can easily learn it.

I dislike Macs because many times the hardware is not changeable or upgradeable. The only reason they are "more secure" is because less people write viruses for Mac OS. Why bother? There are few compared to Windows based OS. I don't understand about the whole "ready to go" out of the box thing. No one forces you to get Windows updates. And again, if more people wanted to find holes in the Mac OS, then there would be more Mac OS updates.

I've used Mac OS, Windows, Linux, and HP-UX. They get the job done.

rayvyn

Reaction score
I hear everybody say:

MAC's are great for design, but WHy????

for the high price you can easelly build a custom kick a** PC and install the exact same softwre (adobe, Autodesk, Vegas, etc) so why do you reakky think mac is so good for designers????

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I thought there was a version of Linux that combined some bits of Mac and some bits of Windows? Trouble with Mac and Linux is software and drivers. People with macs are always saying that they never crash. The only reason that they never crash is because you cant plug in/install all the stuff you do on windows. A basic windows setup with nothing plugged in other then MS keyboard/mouse and an MS certified screen would never crash, specially if its running Vista :p

Another thing is if Macs get more popular viruses will start to appear for them, which kinda ruins that story as well...

Alex

Last edited:

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Yeah, "Macs will get viruses eventually." I hear that so much. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge, it is pretty difficult to get a virus on Mac, Linux, Unix, etc.

The problem isn't entirely popularity, but rather that in general, the users of the OSs are different. Mac people are pretty secure because they use their computers for designing stuff... being artistic. They do this, and not much else, as nothing else really appeals them about computers.

Linux, Unix, etc. users are for the most part geeks. Let's face it. Geeks do not get viruses. If you get a virus, congratulations. You can rest assured that you are not a geek, unless you are on a shared computer. Geeks do not click the random links that say you are the millionth visitor, and have won a PS3/Wii, or that you are missing a phone call right now even though you have FiOS. Geeks understand what is safe and what is unsafe much better than regular people.

And Windows users are those regular people, who may go to a website linked in spam from a foreign country claiming to the IRS.

Not everyone fits into these, I know. That's not my point. My point is that in general, when someone gets a computer, the get a Dell, etc. with Windows. Because it's there. But someone who researches first, and has something specific to gain out of a computer will not get viruses, unless they are trying to do something they shouldn't be.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Offended! What about Linux operating systems? Sure they suck for gaming and all (yeah, they suck really bad) but it's a stable OS and is pretty good for older desktop systems and home servers (and obviously they're using in a lot of business environments too).

For those who need desktop publishing and office applications Linux systems work out cheaper with regards to hardware and software, easier to use if the user hasn't got bad habits from using Windows all their life, and if you need help getting something to work I tend to find people in Linux forums are a lot more knowledgeable and friendly than those in Windows forums.

While I may sound like a fanboy, I must admit I like the Windows XP UI and find Office 2007 really good. I'm tied to Windows though because of Adobe CS3, I hate Fireworks and Photoshop (I've worked with the GIMP for ages and so don't know how to do anything useful with these :p) but can't live without Dreamweaver, it makes life so much easier when it comes to PHP.

I'm a casual gamer, while I've got a PC with decent specs I just don't find the time any more, so I don't really miss that aspect of Windows, Although I must, however, admit that DirectX is way ahead of OpenGL in terms of performance and clarity.

I could go on for ages, but don't forget the penguin when asking about operating systems please! Bear in mind that Apple OSes are all written on BSD code, which is related to GNU/Linux and the OSS movement. What a steal.

-Luke.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Mac.

The only problem I find is the price. I really want one, but I can't afford it.

I don't think the graphics are very good in windows.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The graphics CAN be good in Windows. Just get yourself an expensive video card or two (and not use an onboard!) and you'll be good.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I meant the stupid hill.
It is so annoying.
And bright blue. Who would want a bright blue start bar?
Yes, I know it is customisable, but when I had windows I changed it, and I am fine with the default in Linux.

kkenny

Reaction score
Offended! What about Linux operating systems? Sure they suck for gaming and all (yeah, they suck really bad) but it's a stable OS and is pretty good for older desktop systems and home servers (and obviously they're using in a lot of business environments too).

For those who need desktop publishing and office applications Linux systems work out cheaper with regards to hardware and software, easier to use if the user hasn't got bad habits from using Windows all their life, and if you need help getting something to work I tend to find people in Linux forums are a lot more knowledgeable and friendly than those in Windows forums.

While I may sound like a fanboy, I must admit I like the Windows XP UI and find Office 2007 really good. I'm tied to Windows though because of Adobe CS3, I hate Fireworks and Photoshop (I've worked with the GIMP for ages and so don't know how to do anything useful with these :p) but can't live without Dreamweaver, it makes life so much easier when it comes to PHP.

I'm a casual gamer, while I've got a PC with decent specs I just don't find the time any more, so I don't really miss that aspect of Windows, Although I must, however, admit that DirectX is way ahead of OpenGL in terms of performance and clarity.

I could go on for ages, but don't forget the penguin when asking about operating systems please! Bear in mind that Apple OSes are all written on BSD code, which is related to GNU/Linux and the OSS movement. What a steal.

-Luke.

Offended. You slapped me in the face twerp! haha.

Linux is just as good for gaming as windows is In fact Linux is easier to manage your fans, and it has a built in thermometer detector, windows you have to install a few programs to get that kind of built in stuff.(XP and Vista never liked detecting my thermos and controlling my fans, linux did)

Also when you use WINE,, you can also do amazing things. Like open your game on one workstation, while chatting on ventrilo aim and teamspeak in another. Linux is an amazing OS better than windows if you know how to use it, because basically with wine, everything up to XP SP2, and Vista SP1 can be ran on Linux with no major errors.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I've used WINE before on my Linux box (my network router before it was acting as a router/server, when I first got some old hardware and put it together) and it's nice, so I can back up the statement that kkenny said.

stephzor

Reaction score
but they are so very limited in the software area

False :D

Probably that the full drawer of disks you have of Windows softs contain many softs that do almost the same thing but that each soft has something a little bit different from others.

Anyway... what I mean is that on Mac, there ARE softwares. Very good ones, high quality for very low prices (many are free, opensource, or begwares since Mac OS is Unix based). In fact, the advantage is that you don't get lost in a list of trillion apps that do the same thing, not knowing which one to take (like on Windows).
If there is not a trillion apps on Mac, it's only because it's useless to have a trillions apps when there are already a few good softwares that do their job very very well (no need for other softwares then).

I am sticking to Windows, I have tried to use Mac OSX, but I can't really understand how to do the same things that I can do on my Windows XP machine. Plus, as you stated, many programs don't work on Mac, and emulators don't achieve as good results.

One major thing that I don't like about the Mac, is the lack of right-clicking.

I actually think that the hardware that comes with the Mac is nice, but I don't like the OS as much as Windows.
Don't try to use Mac OS the ****ed up way you need to use Windows XD
Mac OS is too simple for most Windows users.
Right clic? Use a normal mouse =|
Or do ctrl+clic if you have a one button mouse.

As for the hardware... you can actually instal Mac OS on a PC (OSx86)

In my opinion, both suck. This isn't because I'm a total open source fanatic, but because neither operating system is customisable enough for what I'd use it for. I like being able to fiddle with code I'm not supposed to. I like being able to change my desktop environment if I don't like the one I've got now. I hate being confined to fiddling in control panels and such.

Neither for me, I'll stick to Fedora / Ubuntu / openSUSE thanks =P
-Luke.

Customizable? Mac IS, as well for windows. Play with code you're not supposed to? This is called kext (kernel extensions) on Mac OS. If you like command line, on Mac OS, it's almost the same as Linux (I think that most of Linux commands have their ports on Mac.. if not, you can google and I'm sure that you'll find a port to install)

I dislike Macs because many times the hardware is not changeable or upgradeable. The only reason they are "more secure" is because less people write viruses for Mac OS. Why bother? There are few compared to Windows based OS. I don't understand about the whole "ready to go" out of the box thing. No one forces you to get Windows updates. And again, if more people wanted to find holes in the Mac OS, then there would be more Mac OS updates.
You sure don't know what a real hacker is huh?
Hackers are hacking for the challenge, to find holes for fun of finding holes and they often being paid to find holes.
Same thing for viruses.
Don't you think that this "Mac can't have virus" thing creates an appealing challenge for hackers?
"There are less people who write virus for Mac" <= There has not been any virus on Mac that had been able to completly crash a system. The only "virus" was a worm that was spread through iChat, and the user still had to accept the sending request LOL.
So, this reason, that there are no virus on Mac because no one is interested in making viruses for Mac is complete bu11sh1t. =|
It's because it's based on Unix

Mac OS sucks for file management and I hate not being able to do Command + X, Command + V in finder.

Pinguin lovers : Search for the iDEBOX project. Mac OS sitting on Linux drivers by the Uphuck team :) very interesting!

Last edited:

Nick2007

Reaction score
I have to go with Windows, because I've been using it for a very long time. I have many PC only discs, and also, generally windows are much more hardware customizable than apple. It's also that most games are for windows, so I have to stick with windows. I personally don't like iMacs at all.

But the iPod's are still good! ;)

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I have to go with Windows, because I've been using it for a very long time. I have many PC only discs, and also, generally windows are much more hardware customizable than apple. It's also that most games are for windows, so I have to stick with windows. I personally don't like iMacs at all.

The only games for Macs are those little kids games made for Kindergarteners :biggrin:

guypants

Reaction score
I Rekon Macs Are, Sorry, lol But Boring... the gui on them looks a bit better but windows pc's are way easier to use and u can do alot more on them :D

mcklovin

Reaction score
Apparently I have unknowingly offended the Linux community for leaving them out of this thread lmao. Official apology submitted.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Time to get a moderator to edit the topic title, don't you think?

O' Magical moderator!!! :p lol

Last edited:

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Im sticking with Windows, I love the choice of software and games. As well as this, you get the upgradability. You can really upgrade an iMac, and buying upgrades from Apple costs way too much. I think a 2GB RAM upgrade cost £300 with Apple, when the RAM costs about £65.

Alex

scottnj

Reaction score
Whats really better, I like to stick to windows since I'm a gamer. I hear how macs are so amazing but they are so very limited in the software area, I have a whole drawer full of discs that would only work on windows how am I supposed to just forget about that. I see Macs being good for musicians or designers, Macs are great for that stuff, but what about everything else? What do you think?

I totally agree with you. It depends on your budget and what you need it for. At school, I liked Macs because they were great for video, audio and image editing, and they typically don't lock up and crash as often as PCs. But they definitely have their downsides, like not supporting most applications and games. They also cost a whole lot more.