Would you.. for someone you cared.. or not?

naerey

Reaction score
Ok, here's a highly philosophical question that came to me...

Badly written too but I don't know how to formulate it... sorry!!

If a good friend of yours asked you to do SomethingBad (eg. shoot at him), would you do it (because you trust him/her) or not (because you don't want to hurt him/her)?

Please discuss... I'm greatly interested in this...
Of course any other reasons to do or not to do (or even to do something else.. but that would be too much case-dependent) are very welcome!

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Are you serious? Of coarse not. All humans make mistakes and no amount of trust can justify that or prove that your friend is in the right mind. Your mind goes crazy to avoid pain, and great emotional pain clouds your judgment. There is a reason that people who attempt suicide go to jail! :nuts:

Last edited:

Noodles8

Reaction score
"Are you serious? Of coarse not. All humans make mistakes and no amount of trust can justify that or prove that your friend is in the right mind. Your mind goes crazy to avoid pain, and great emotional pain clouds your judgment. There is a reason that people who attempt suicide go to jail!"

Thats pretty much spot on to how I feel. Even if I trusted someone to the point I'd do anything for them. Some things just dont fall into that "anything" category. Sometimes people are wrong, sometimes they may do the wrong thing for the right reason. But you simply cannot know that.

Also, people shouldn't rely on trust or love to make such a decision. Its just not sane. And chances are, you'll find out the hard way, why it wasn't the right choice to make. And in some cases that means never having the second chance to say no.

scottnj

Reaction score
No way, I love my friends (not like love, love) and I would never hurt them. Not if they hated their life, and not if they wanted to die.

Unless.... we were in like a POW camp where they took you to a hospital and treated you for your wounds, so that he could escape. But then again, if we were in a POW camp, we probably wouldn't have guns. So that pretty much makes my post a definite 'NO' !

unlikely

Reaction score
Ok, here's a highly philosophical question that came to me...

Badly written too but I don't know how to formulate it... sorry!!

If a good friend of yours asked you to do SomethingBad (eg. shoot at him), would you do it (because you trust him/her) or not (because you don't want to hurt him/her)?

Please discuss... I'm greatly interested in this...
Of course any other reasons to do or not to do (or even to do something else.. but that would be too much case-dependent) are very welcome!

I guess it all depends on your definition of "something bad" and the situation. I mean, if he wanted me to deficate on him (hello, my definition of something bad), and we were just chilling at home.. well. Of COURSE NOT I wouldn't.

However, if he was bleeding to death in the open and needed me to press a hot iron into his femoral artery to stop the bleeding (meaning I would have to shove a hot poker deep into his thigh, hard and fast).. then yes. I would do it.

Sometimes something bad = something good. I mean.. I once had a friend who's boyfriend went to prison for murdering her father. She asked him to do it. But he was molesting her and raping her almost daily. Granted, bad example; murder isn't the solution to anything. But he did what she asked him to do. In the end, she ended up better off. In the end, he ended up worse off.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on your definition of "something bad" and the situation. I mean, if he wanted me to deficate on him (hello, my definition of something bad), and we were just chilling at home.. well. Of COURSE NOT I wouldn't.

However, if he was bleeding to death in the open and needed me to press a hot iron into his femoral artery to stop the bleeding (meaning I would have to shove a hot poker deep into his thigh, hard and fast).. then yes. I would do it.

Sometimes something bad = something good....

I would have to agree, if what I was doing is bad, but greater good comes from it, I would do it, but if it is bad and nothing good comes from it, then I would not do it.

I saw a person who watched a lot of medical movies or something like that. Then I saw his best friends lungs collapse since there was air outside of it.....the first person who watched a lot of medical shows toke a knife and punctured his friend near the area that the lung was decompressing in, the person did not cut it correctly...thus there was ALOT more blood then needed, that came out. He toke a straw and put it through the hole he made, and his friend lived. If he did not do it, his friend would have suffocated to death....the wine he used to help with the bleeding, pouring it on the hole, could have killed him if enough got inside, but it did not. The guy lived that had a decompressing lung.

Well, let me say this.....I would help you, if you needed medical help immediately, even if there was no way of knowing if he would have lived with this type of medical treatment, I would do it, if....not sure if this makes sense or if it seems like a bunch of garbage.

Yes I would do it, if greater good came from it, nope I would not, if nothing good came from it.

MuRRe

Reaction score
This comes down to which philosophy you have.
I remember reading about it.
Although I can't remember the names of them, there were to that where almost opposite.
The first one said that no matter WHAT could come out of an action you shouldn't do a bad thing.
The other said that if the good effect is bigger than the action you should do it.

It's very interesting. Now, even if you live by the rule that you do bad things to make good things happen it's not always easy to foresee what the effects are, therefor you should always consider your options.

Me you ask? Honestly, to save my little brother I would probably do almost ANYTHING to safe his life.

Sohail

Reaction score
Well my life wouldn't mean much without that person that I really care about so I probably would , if you can understand what I mean...

naerey

Reaction score
Interestingly, most of the replies came a tad later.. but all fair.

If you care for him/her....

Why kill him/her?

SAVE him/her.

Ok, since you people like examples...
Let's say you're in such a situation that would bring bad effects on the community( for which your friend really cares, and wouldn't live happily if something bad happened). Your friend asks you to *do the bad thing* which will bring *no harm* to the community (eg. Friend's family)...

What's your action?
You may say... "it all depends" .. on what?

thebabyhater

Reaction score
I really doubt I'd kill a friend just because they asked me to. As it's been said over and over, it really depends on the motivation behind it; if, say, they were mortally injured and suffering, I honestly think I would. But if they just handed me a .45 and told me to blast em, it wouldn't happen.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
If I had a friend in continuous great pain who hated life who I trusted a lot and if they were unable to commit suicide them self, then I would go to court and try to win the assisted suicide case. It is illegal in England, although I don't think it should be. Then I would help them to commit suicide, but I wouldn't shoot them. I would make sure it was pain free.

~Callum

cased

Reaction score
Regardless if I cared for the person or not, I would not do something for them that I felt was immoral just because they asked. Of course the situation would take part in dictating what I felt was moral or immoral.

ashhhevil

Reaction score
I would not kill him/her. I'd try to help him/her in any way I can and will definitely succeed. :)