Playing DOS games in vista/XP/Linux like old school.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've ran some old DOS Games on the modern Operating systems :) It's a good thing they still work too. All you need is a little knowledge of command prompt. Other than that, some of those DOS games I can't even play because they run way to fast (try playing Pong when you can't even see the pixel lol).

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have quite a collection of DOS games that I could have never played with out DOSBOX. I use DOSBOX quite a bit to record DOS game videos for my website as well. It's an invaluable tool for retro gamers.

sbflinn

Reaction score
never understood DOS games
dunno commands so thats probably why i never understood it

coolguy0210

Reaction score
good. i play some dos games in my childhood days, way back when we have a computer lesson.

whitebus

Reaction score
I once bought a collection called Exodus Ultima Complete, which included a utility to slow down your processor so you could play the older versions and the original dos game the series was based on. Now I'll have to search my old piles of disks for it... thanks.

<edit>Imagine, games where you want a slower processor! In fact I remember a buddy running a batch file to constantly reformat a floppy disk to slow the computer down so he could beat his brother's high score in Tetris.

Last edited:

idfizbo

Reaction score
DOSbox is the way to go... google it. They don't make games like they used to, which is why I still play great games like Gabriel Knight, Bloodnet, and the original Syndicate more than anything else.

ughh_li

Reaction score
i dl an apple II emulator just so i could play the original oregon trail and yes it was awesome

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Get yourself a copy of bouncing babies, then say you don't understand DOS games.
Search for it on your favourite Google search engine. Look for dosgamesarchive (was the first link for me).

tfteam

Reaction score
Any of you guys give me a couple of great DOS games? We didn't get much DOS games back a few years ago because PC's weren't that common here where I came from. Gimme a few titles and I'll try to dl them and play them. I want to know what I missed the past years. :biggrin:

zen-r

Reaction score
@ tfteam............Sharky already suggested a source for you to download them from.

timotyst

Reaction score
Yeah man, that smells good. Now I can run my favourite games on my Linux PC, that's so funny...

Respect

Zdroyd

Reaction score
My friend and I always play Classic DOS Doom for fun.

We have also programmed a lot of fun and funny text DOS games ourself.

zen-r

Reaction score
I've still got loads of DOS games on floppy disk because I never look at them nowadays & haven't bothered to copy them to a hard drive yet.

Mind you, that's nothing. I've also got loads of old pre-DOS games in magazines (to be typed into the computer by hand) & games on audio cassette (to be loaded into the computer via the mic input).

I might have to scrape off a few layers of dust to get to them, though!

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've also got loads of old pre-DOS games in magazines (to be typed into the computer by hand)
Lol, my father still has a bunch of those. He never plays them anymore, but he likes to tell of days when he stayed up all night just typing the game into the computer!:lol:

Clinton

Reaction score
I was actually looking for a version of Dos box that will run on Vista. I had the urge to play Day of The Tentacle and Sam n Max Hit the Road. :)

Jesse

Reaction score
Why play DOS Games? :p
hehe.

If there are lots of good 3d games around there ;D