McAfee warning for x10hosting.com

hostsunleashed

Reaction score
Can sme1 explain why is the following Msg displayed?

mcffe.JPG

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
If you think you have found a dodgy site or link from x10, then you are right to report it. I'm not sure how reliable this section is though, so maybe also follow it up here ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/sendmessage.php

That's not the issue; the issue is Mcafee has flagged x10hosting for sites with browser exploits, likely because some spammer/scammer decided to use x10 and lasted long enough for someone to report them.

I have my doubts ANY of the original sites that Mcafee flagged are actually still around by now.

Edit: Minor note though, mcafee's of course gunna keep x10 flagged because it's a free webhost. That's the nature of being a webhost nowadays I guess - you'll end up getting on every over-protective software's watchlist.

I'd prefer Mcafee to change it to say "Warning: This site hosts free websites for other people, and may be abused by spammers/scammers. Browse cautiously." or something similar instead of "OMG THIS SITE IS DANGEORUS!!!11!!11!111!111!1"

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
I have my doubts ANY of the original sites that Mcafee flagged are actually still around by now.

Yes, but if they are or may be around, then this issue should be reported - that was my point. :)

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Seeing as the error message popped up when you were on the page of the official forums, it may be likely that someone posted a bad link in the forums, and McAfee picked it up - it says the main reason it's flagged is because it links to other poor websites.

I guess the only thing you can do is leave good reviews on McAfee and see if you can contact them asking them to review the site again.

yulifan

Reaction score
Wow, the Mcafee link shows that x10hosting ads contain phishing and spyware stuff.

They also contain fake paypal links.

Wow.

zen-r

Reaction score
Wow, the Mcafee link shows that x10hosting ads contain phishing and spyware stuff.

They also contain fake paypal links.

Wow.

Where? I think you're mistaken.

The only stuff like that was what users had written in the comments section.

The scan by McAfee itself showed that downloads were CLEAN, & that x10 just contained a link to that 1 questionable site.

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Well check your tabs and other things you had open since it could have been from that other non x10 tab or anything else you had open that is a browser... Maybe that first window on your start bar wich i cant recognize since you coverd most of it... Anyways i will admit to seing a post a while back about norton picking up a trojan, but they couldnt duplicate the issue as far as i remember.

About the Ads giving trouble, ive seen it happen before, although its rare its still a issue i see on allot of sites. Remember the time som1 hacked google and put malicious links into google adsense... I think there was a topic on it here at x10 actually.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The IP that McAfee is flagging belongs to another web host. The server is in fact not far away from me as I'm pinging 19ms to it. Just report the false positive to McAfee.

hostsunleashed

Reaction score
Well check your tabs and other things you had open since it could have been from that other non x10 tab or anything else you had open that is a browser... Maybe that first window on your start bar wich i cant recognize since you coverd most of it... Anyways i will admit to seing a post a while back about norton picking up a trojan, but they couldnt duplicate the issue as far as i remember.

The image below should answer your query.
homepage.JPG

As to why the warning is being displayed The below link should explain it
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/x1...ite=true&aff_id=0&locale=en-us&os_ver=5.1.3.0

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
These are from the ads on the site randomly being shown for abusive sites. There is nothing we can do about it besides report it to the advertising company.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Where? I think you're mistaken.

The only stuff like that was what users had written in the comments section.

The scan by McAfee itself showed that downloads were CLEAN, & that x10 just contained a link to that 1 questionable site.
Well, when I looked it said x10 was linking to a couple of bad sites as well as a couple of questionable ones.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I figured it was from the ads. No doubt about that.

zapzack

Reaction score
Theres not much you can do about this but ignore it.. Also.. Smith6612, Your animated signature keeps locking up Safari 4.

davearonson

Reaction score
I'd prefer Mcafee to change it to say "Warning: This site hosts free websites for other people, and may be abused by spammers/scammers. Browse cautiously." or something similar instead of "OMG THIS SITE IS DANGEORUS!!!11!!11!111!111!1"

Sounds rather labor-intensive, figuring out exactly why each otherwise OK site has links to dangerous sites. I don't know what their current process is, but maybe they can harness the community, and set up some kind of feedback mechanism for the public to use.

For instance, they could have lists of such sites, searchable and sortable by how much feedback they've had on it, what they think it is so far, etc. Each site name could be a link to a page where people could send in their feedback (like a poll) re whether it's a free host, a link farm, a site specifically set up for malware distributors to increase their Google PageRank or lure people into evil places, or whatever.

Of course, it would be rather unscientific, as self-selected polls generally are, but it might be better than nothing....

-Dave

briapv

Reaction score
The Microsoft Malicious Links Database is also wrong it blocked GOOGLE.nl i had to set google in my whitelist to work

Peter Dow

Reaction score
McAfee SiteAdvisor is RED FLAGGING x10hosting sites!

I am reposting this in this thread which looks to be like "THE" McAfee thread.

Hi I am just setting up a site here, returning after being away for a year or so.

Both the x10hosting.com domain and the exofire.net domain which my site is newly hosted on are getting red flagged by McAfee SiteAdvisor software which is packaged with our internet service for British customers of the ISP British Telecom.

McAfee said:
red-xbg2.gif

When we tested this site we found links to 208.122.40.130, which we found breaches browser security on our test PC.

linkgraph.png

It looks like x10hosting staff know all about it because they commented on McAfee

x10hosting.com Web site owner comments (1)

x10Hosting is a free web hosting provider, we allow users to sign-up with theirsite.x10hosting.com addresses. Sometimes people abuse our service and put phishing sites up - which are dealt with quickly. Because of this the "X10hosting.com" domain may be marked as phishing sometimes. I can ensure you we are not a phishing site nor condone the practice of phishing which is strictly against our ToS.

Unfortunately, McAfee don't seem to list the precise subdomain which links to the problem sites, thus making it 1,000 times harder for x10hosting to track down the culprit users.

So is it worth us users reporting this red flagging, do people reckon? Are x10hosting support staff on the case on an ongoing basis?

It certainly would be nice to get a clean bill of health for x10hosting from McAfee because browsers of our user sites may suspect our user sites because of the red flagging by McAfee.